Advice for a newbie

Can anybody help me out? I am a new elk hunter and could use some advice on what type of terrain to look for when I scout my area. I am going to be hunting the 1st rifle season in southern colorado. There have been a couple of fires in the area both this summer and last and I have heard that they are a good place to look. Thanks for any advice you could give me.

look in the mountains....;) glad I could help!....if you look in the elk forum there should be some threads on this already...I know I've seen a few

#1 First season is usually pretty hot, so go high. North facing slopes, dark timber.

#2 This years fires will still be blackened. Look for new growth areas resulting from last years fires.

A-Con---I wouldn't be so sure of your #2 statement. I've seen new growth within 6 weeks after fires in Wyoming before and the deer and elk were really in there dining on the fresh green coming up. All it takes is a little rain to get things going and in six or 8 weeks it's green.

Get elknuts dvd on scouting elk country.It is very good and will get you started in the right direction

Never hunted a burn but heard they can be pretty good when they are fresh and green, I wouldn't go past it with out taking a look. Those big white rumps should stick out like a soar thumb.

Last year (my 1st year hunting elk) they were. They weren't really coming to the calls(maybe just me) but they would sure answer

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back