Additions to 2021 Hunt: Doves

WyoDoug

One more item I am going to do in 2021 is dove hunting. I haven't done that since early 2004 before I moved to Cheyenne. The one bird I do not have to retain a wing or leg on so all I do is breast it out and put the breasts on ice until I get home to clean them. Wyoming provides an exception specific to mourning doves pertaining to the rule requiring species and sex identification.

My favorite way to cook them is to debone the breasts, cut them in half and wrap them with a slice of jalapeno and a half piece bacon and grill them.

Another way is to cut them into 1/4 in cubes and fry them in olive oil and use them like fajitas or in tacos. Good eating any which way you cook them.

I like dove hunting a lot because you can shoot a quite a number before you meet your limit.

are there many doves in Wyoming? I've been on some pretty good shoots in Eastern Arkansas

are there many doves in Wyoming? I've been on some pretty good shoots in Eastern Arkansas
Lotta doves in Wyoming. We got maybe 50 or so that hang in our alley. In town they feed on what people feed them. Out in the sticks they feed on millet, rye, wheat and whatever they can find in that order. I had people tell me they migrate. I don't think they do from what I seen. We got them flying around in winter too.

I am telling ya horny doves are funny to watch in the spring. I sit in my back yard with my binos and watch the birds a lot and the horny doves are fun watching them do their breeding rituals.

One more item I am going to do in 2021 is dove hunting. I haven't done that since early 2004 before I moved to Cheyenne. The one bird I do not have to retain a wing or leg on so all I do is breast it out and put the breasts on ice until I get home to clean them. Wyoming provides an exception specific to mourning doves pertaining to the rule requiring species and sex identification.

My favorite way to cook them is to debone the breasts, cut them in half and wrap them with a slice of jalapeno and a half piece bacon and grill them.

Another way is to cut them into 1/4 in cubes and fry them in olive oil and use them like fajitas or in tacos. Good eating any which way you cook them.

I like dove hunting a lot because you can shoot a quite a number before you meet your limit.
Jesus Doug, you’re worse than a feral cat. You’re gonna kill every damn bird in WY with that new shotgun! 🤣

Doug, pay attention to mourning doves vs collared doves throughout the season and I think you'll notice the mourning doves migration. In the winter time, the vast majority of birds in town are collared doves that stay here year round. In the summer time, you'll see mourning doves mixed in fairly evenly with the collared doves here in town. Those mourning doves that are here in the summer typically move out in big numbers with the first good frost in late August or early September. Outside of town in the summer you'll see a ton of mourning doves with some collared doves mixed in. Outside of town this time of year you'll see very few mourning doves, what you will see is mostly collared doves.

Doug, pay attention to mourning doves vs collared doves throughout the season and I think you'll notice the mourning doves migration. In the winter time, the vast majority of birds in town are collared doves that stay here year round. In the summer time, you'll see mourning doves mixed in fairly evenly with the collared doves here in town. Those mourning doves that are here in the summer typically move out in big numbers with the first good frost in late August or early September. Outside of town in the summer you'll see a ton of mourning doves with some collared doves mixed in. Outside of town this time of year you'll see very few mourning doves, what you will see is mostly collared doves.
Perhaps in your area. Mourning doves have pointy tails compared to the squared off ones of the collared ones plus no mark on the neck. Plus they are smaller. I think the ones on our block are taking shelter in the garages where squirrels chewed holes for them to get in. We don't see as many but the ones on our block are not migrating and seem to have been around forever.

Does not matter a whole lot though. The federal government has classified European Collared Dove that we also see in town (I have seen both) as an unprotected species, just like house sparrows and starlings. In 2006, the Wyoming Game and Fish Department announced that EUCD can be hunted any season, anywhere, any method and considers them a feral species.

Thats my Favorite way to cook dove deboned breast with jalapeño and bacon except I put cream cheese on it too

Thats my Favorite way to cook dove deboned breast with jalapeño and bacon except I put cream cheese on it too
What's the rule on banded doves where you live? The FWS and WGF consider them an invasive species so you can hunt those year round here and all rules pretty much lifted like they do on some predators.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back