Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Adding fat to venison

sneakypete

A quick question on adding fat to ground venison to make jerky. What are you using pork, beef, and what percentage. Thx in advanc.

No fat for jerky. I've made jerky from ground venison with fat added before, but if I had some ground without - I wouldn't be adding it for jerky

Not for jerky but I find that pork shoulder is a fantastic addition for hamburger and sausage. As a kid my parents always added beef fat to ground venison and it never really tasted good. As a young man I followed their lead and used beef fat in my venison. Could have been the source of beef fat but it gave my venison that not so good taste. Switched to pork fat/shoulder meat and have never looked back.

Not for jerky but I find that pork shoulder is a fantastic addition for hamburger and sausage. As a kid my parents always added beef fat to ground venison and it never really tasted good. As a young man I followed their lead and used beef fat in my venison. Could have been the source of beef fat but it gave my venison that not so good taste. Switched to pork fat/shoulder meat and have never looked back.
I agree and don't think you need grind for jerky. Another option that is great for hamburger is hickory smoked bacon ends and pieces. It goes for sale near me and I get plenty of the 3 lb packages. Smells awesome grinding it up too. I know this is not a great response to the OP but I have to grind some up soon, it's almost lunch and I am hungry. :)

I make jerky from roast, not ground. So no fat added beyond some olive oil in the marinade. I typically add 5% pork fat to my grindings for burger and sausage.

None. Jerky is supposed to be lean and dry. The stuff that just about makes you pull your teeth out is the best 😁
Even venison burger doesn't require fat, just add an egg and some bread crumbs, maybe even a pinch of olive oil and it will hold together just fine on the grill. Keep the meat as cold as possible until you put it on the grill.

None. Jerky is supposed to be lean and dry. The stuff that just about makes you pull your teeth out is the best 😁
Even venison burger doesn't require fat, just add an egg and some bread crumbs, maybe even a pinch of olive oil and it will hold together just fine on the grill. Keep the meat as cold as possible until you put it on the grill.
+1

We've stopped adding any fat to our grind. Thaw it in a bowl & colander in the fridge so it will drain.

Back