Action/barrel torque question

VikingsGuy

So, I have a wheeler action wrench to remove factory barrel from tikka action. But when I put the new barrel on at approx 90ftlbs, how do I do that to spec? I have standard torque wrenches, but not sure how they would work in this case. I have seen folks with rem action wrenches that slide in the action like a bolt and just use standard torque wrench to spec. Do I need to buy a tikka version of these for the tikka action? Or is there a handy way to get the right torque without buying another specialty tool?

The internal style you mentioned is designed for assembly. They're fairly inexpensive online. Think I bought mine on ebay. I'm in the east metro of the twin cities if you'd like to borrow mine.

I’ve never bothered torquing to anything specific on a rifle that wasn’t a switch barrel.

I've put barrels on using the hammer method.
I've progressed to using a torque wrench since.

Proof Research has a video out where their barrel is only hand tight.
They shot a group, unscrewed the barrel. Broke a cinder block apart with the barrel. Screwed it back on and shot a group again. :oops:

Spend the money and get an action wrench. I just did this and it made it soo much easier and it applied the torque to the action without bending it. I had to use a torch and a good barrel vice. I torqued my 300 WM barrel to 100 ft/lbs and everything lined up. I checked the head space and it was perfect. Good luck. Buy an action wrench!!!!!

blacksheep

you guys actually torque wrench your barrels on? I just twist mine until the top flat comes up level. If it feels a little soft, or comes unscrewed under fire I just add red Loctite (yeah, red). Really... :)

you guys actually torque wrench your barrels on? I just twist mine until the top flat comes up level. If it feels a little soft, or comes unscrewed under fire I just add red Loctite (yeah, red). Really... :)
You’re an artist, I am but a simple engineer - math makes right ;)

You’re an artist, I am but a simple engineer - math makes right ;)
For some reason I thought you were a lawyer?

Figure out how to attach your torque wrench to your action wrench.(Like welding a socket) Measure your new total length, and the original length of your torque wrench(from the part of your grip where you’re applying force). The actual torque applied is proportional to the increase in length.

Tactual=Twrench*(total length/wrench length)

^^^ The actual torque is equal to the torque indicated by the torque wrench multiplied by the ratio of the total length compared to the wrench length.

Like I said before. I don’t think it’s that critical.

Last edited:
Buy or borrow a proper internal wrench and torque to spec. Shortcuts are sometimes a direct route to problems.

I had to use a torch to get the factory barrel to spin off. I used a Tikka action wrench and a good barrel vice with leather straps to help it hold and not spin. 100 ft/lbs was recommended from Tikka/Sako for the barrel torque for a 300 WM.

blacksheep

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back