Caribou Gear Tarp

Accuracy Issues (270 Win, Ruger American)

Hunt&FishCO

I’ve been having issues shooting a tight group. The rifle has a bedded stock and adjusted trigger down to ~3lbs. All the work was done by a local gunsmith.

The CoreLokt I shoot are 1MOA right; the Hornady I plan to hunt with track straight. I’ve found that accuracy improves pretty substantially if I “hold” the barrel down; but that shouldn’t be the case - right? Right now I have zero confidence shooting past 200yds. I use a bipod and a Caldwell bag when I’m sighting in. The rifle only has seen 100 rounds through it - is this normal?

9FD3A66E-CB5A-4AAA-A5C4-6D4F12A532FE.jpeg5C796A03-0DFD-49AB-A7AD-3A4F77FA06BF.jpeg

Re check your action screws
Is this with handloads or factory?
Are you loading the bipod?
How much flex is in your forearm?
How much clearance is between your barrel and stock?
Try shooting with your bipod feet on a soft surface and see if that improves also.
Also try shooting off a front bag and see if your groups improve.

This. I have an older Savage 110 that is sub-moa out to 500 yards. (I've shot several 3" 5-shot groups at 500 with this rifle and usually shoots 4" groups at that range.) That's with the cheap birch stock and pre accutrigger. Won't shoot off from bipods on a bench worth a hoot. Like 4 moa groups. Put it on bags and it's scary accurate. In the field I shoot it off from my soft pack or sticks in the dirt. Still shoots great. Just doesn't like hard surfaces and bipods..

Re check your action screws
Is this with handloads or factory?
Are you loading the bipod?
How much flex is in your forearm?
How much clearance is between your barrel and stock?
Try shooting with your bipod feet on a soft surface and see if that improves also.
1. Will do, good idea
2. Factory only
3. I believe so (putting pressure to hold it down)
4. None (firm grip increases accuracy)
5. Minimal (bedded)
6. Good idea - will try
7. Good idea - will try

Its tough to tell but I do agree with the other guys and what they say to start with. Check other factory ammo. If possible try reloading for it I have had much better luck with hand loads then any factory.

the other question I will ask is how hot is it where you are shooting and how much cool down time are you giving your rifle in between shots?

Won't shoot off from bipods on a bench worth a hoot. Like 4 moa groups. Put it on bags and it's scary accurate. In the field I shoot it off from my soft pack or sticks in the dirt. Still shoots great. Just doesn't like hard surfaces and bipods..

I have a Harris bipod that really screws things up at the range. The benches are concrete and the rubber bipod feet really grip that surface and make the rifle move differently at the shot. Off the bags the rifle shoots great. I only use the bipod if I'm shooting prone in the dirt and accuracy is fine then.

Last edited:
I have a Ruger American in 308. With the factory stock it was pretty much, meh, regardless of the ammo I tried. I invested in a Magpul Hunter stock and it was like getting a new rifle, the cheap Federal soft points group great at 200 zero with 1 moa or better. If you like the factory stock I have heard some guys will stiffen them up with glass or other compound in between the plastic ridge areas. For me was just easier to replace the stock. I never really liked using bipods, I carry (actually will use it as a second walking stick in a pinch) a BOG tripod.

All the other advice is spot on, especially p_ham's advice to check the torque on the action screws. That advice not leading to anything I would suggest if you are using a bit heavier of a bullet for the 270 (140,150) try 130s and see if groups improve.

Best of luck, hope you get it sorted out.

Double check the tightness in your rings and bases, then try some different ammo. Some rifles just don’t shoot, though it seems everyone on the internet buys budget rifles that are sub-moa, that usually just isn’t the case - especially with corelokt’s (though they kill just fine).

Its tough to tell but I do agree with the other guys and what they say to start with. Check other factory ammo. If possible try reloading for it I have had much better luck with hand loads then any factory.

the other question I will ask is how hot is it where you are shooting and how much cool down time are you giving your rifle in between shots?
I was about 70 deg, shooting at 7,900’, shooting 3 - 4 round volleys and then going down range to check / swap targets. Barrel never really heated up

Know anyone that is a good shot? Have them shoot the rifle and see how they do. I just have a feeling the problem is in the user, not the tool!
My first thought as well. And shoot off bags instead of the bipod once you’ve identified if the shooter is the issue or not.

Bedded typically doesn’t mean full length bedded…the barrel should have some healthy float whether it’s bedded or not. You can always shim or pad it later up front if needed. Bedding from the shank back and a healthy float is almost always the best option IME.

Are you sure your scope is solid? Your group looks like something I've experienced with a scope that wouldn't hold zero.

Work through your variables one at a time.

Different shooter with bipod.

Shoot it with bags and compare to bipod.

Shoot with different scope and compare.

If it really is the ammo, which I am guessing it’s not, then you can test different ammo after determining if it is the shooter, the bipod, or the scope (or combination there of).

I'd say do t touch the barrel, any contact between barrel and things that aren't air is a no-no.

+1 on checking all of your scope hardware, and a little blue locate won't hurt

Then I say try some new bullets, and try some different weights. But dont be afraid to spend a little money on your ammo, it's the only part of your kit that will actually touch the animal.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back