Accommodations in Kotzebue

northwestalaska

Hi guys:

Every year I get the same questions from my clients on where can a guy stay while in Kotzebue. We have only had 2 options for the past 2 years, one being the NANA Hotel and other a B & B. I have put up most of my guys in the B & B as it has been a little less expensive then the hotel but they are both getting more pricy every year.

I was approached by the owners of Drake Construction 2 weeks ago. They operate a large construction company here in Kotz and also operate a “Man Camp” The “Man Camp” is used for crews but this year there has been fewer construction crews in town and the Drakes would like to offer the camp for the upcoming hunting season. The camp is 6 bedrooms with bunks or 2 twins in each room, a shared bath (2 baths) and a large shared kitchen/dining/living room. I don’t like to push one business over another but this is where a lot of my guys will be staying this year.

Cost: The cost is $85 single per night or $95 double per night. This is about ½ of the cost of the other options in town and may be what your looking for while you up in Kotz this year. You can reach Drakes Construction at 907-442-3512.

Good luck and if you need anything to complete your hunt please give me a call.

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals in all of NW Alaska
www.northwestalaska.com

Walt, How much is land up there ? What would it cost to build a Place to stay and could we pencil it out to pay for itself ? Jsut a thought for a Biz idea. Think about it. We might have enough guys to go in and buy it :p

All that aside, the alternative option sounds good. It's always good to have alternatives !!

What about camping on the shore south of the airstrip there? Do people do that? That sounds great, the $85 and $95, thanks.

Tom:

Camping is an option but there are some real drawbacks. There is a seasonal camp for the villagers who come into town to work and fish but the weather up here in Sept. can be very shitty and you would be right on the coast with no protection from the wind. The other issue is there are not outhouse accommodations at the tent city.

Well get your weapons sighted in and good luck this fall.

I love the smell of gun powder on the tundra…. It smells like …Victory!

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals in all of NW Alaska
www.northwestalaska.com

Back