Accidentally got NV unit 181-184 archery tag using first come first serve process

Cscott925

Well i'll start by saying I screwed up. I was on Nevada's website waiting for tags to pop up with this new First Come First Serve tag reissue system. After clicking several tags seconds too late, I finally got one that I THOUGHT was unit 194, but turned out to be 184 (181-184). Being so close to the season they will not refund my money or 4 points I had, so i'm in it now. This will be my first ever archery mule deer hunt so i'm going to try to make it count!

I will not have time to scout so I will be doing my usual google earth/OnX scouting over the next week or so. I know asking "Where should I hunt" is frowned upon, so i'll just ask anyone that has hunted these areas during archery season what elevation they have seen deer at, what habitat should I be looking for, what type of activity to expect etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Mark all the water sources. Springs that have names are usually pretty reliable. Hunt near the water and especially if there are alfalfa fields nearby. With the possible exception of Jarbridge, Nevada is all about water near fields.

I think you better be as mobile as possible. Like most of NV it is Ridge and basin running N-S with fingers coming off to the West and East. Lots of public land.

If you can find a road that runs up to the Main N-S Ridge and pop over to look at the fingers, I think you could identify some bedding cover on the North Sides. Pair that with some springs and I think you could catch deer moving between them.

Any of these Map scouting programs with Springs marked and a 3d View will have you looking at places that are "Bucky" looking. A road will get you near to the top of the ridge and you are within an easy hike of 3-4 glassing spots with Springs down in the draws. .

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back