Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Accessing Public Lands From the "Backside"

I haven't personally done this but know guys that for sure look into it when scouting hunting areas. I did get burned by it once hiking the long way in through public and finding a hunter behind every stump once i got in who had accessed from a road i wasn't aware came so close from the neighboring state. I would say if its a short drive your probably not the first to think of it. depending on the hunt area may still be worth it.

I have not seen many folks talk about this topic. Accessing public land from the backside...what I mean by that is when there is a piece of public on the border of another state and the best access to that public land is on the "backside" coming from the other state.

For example, a piece of BLM I know of in Montana where the farthest portion of the piece from the Montana side is easily accessible if one makes a loop into South Dakota. The only thing is that it would take time out of the day to swing into South Dakota into a state one might not have tags for.

I also know of a piece of forest in AZ that would be a long haul into the back portion but is easily accessible from New Mexico. It would take a minute to swing into NM and up that road into AZ.

Anyone have any stories of these accessing public land? Seems like a good idea that many people do not consider.
No way am I putting that kind of info on the net. Not too hard to figure out were to go if you have a state line to guide you.

Last edited:
Know way am I putting that kind of info on the net. Not too hard to figure out were to go if you have a state line to guide you.
Alright, I will post the exact gps coordinates of the places. Why do we have to be secretive in the hunting world? Literally everyone had access to satellite maps. I'm not even hunting these places.

there's definitely a spot i already have in mind where i wanna use wyoming state land to get to a certain point on colorado public land for a certain otc archery tag.

someday i'll get around to giving it a go; it's more of a hunt to do when i fail to have much else to do.

People, including me, are sensitive to showing exact locations because we’ve seen places we like to hunt change a lot. One thing to think about in this situation is CWD regulations. Can’t bring any brain or spine material from most states with CWD into another state.

Alright, I will post the exact gps coordinates of the places. Why do we have to be secretive in the hunting world? Literally everyone had access to satellite maps. I'm not even hunting these places.
There are thousands of lurkers on here daily reading what you share and even if you are not hunting those places there are probably quite a few who do. You are bringing awareness to an opportunity on public land that many may not have thought of or put the effort into figuring out.

You even say yourself "Seems like a good idea that many people do not consider."....yeah, so lets talk about all the specific spots on social media....wow. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

People are secretive about their hunting areas on public land because of crap like this.

Not a new or novel idea, it's been done many times and will be done many times in the future.
He did not put any new info out there, no panic necessary.

I have done this in AZ and NM and again in WY And UT. I have always gone out of my way to contact the neighboring game warden. I have given them my plate number, cell number and camp/hotel locations. Just trying to ensure I didn’t get in trouble for hunting in a unit o didn’t have a tag for. I have also talked with the game wardens in the units I had the tag and given them the same info.

I figured that a few quick conversations might alleviate issues if/when I get an animal down.

All the game wardens have given me the same advice to take good GPS location of the kill if you are close to the state line.

LMFAO...... then why did you ask? I also see you have a Montana mule deer thread going as well. Then you ask about an area in SE MT.

To each his own I guess good luck on your adventure. The forkies are waiting for you.

@MTLabrador makes a very solid point on CWD that I'm sure no one would think about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back