Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Accessing a general unit via draw unit

MTLemmens

I have a general tag for elk in MT and one unit I'm looking at borders a draw unit. There is a trail head in the draw unit that enters the backside of the general unit. My question is, in the eyes of the law is me being on that trail in the draw unit with pack & bow a no no. Or would they be inclined to believe and be acceptable with my intention of reaching the general unit before hunting

Call the warden. I do this all the time in CO (my camp is in a draw unit about 1/4 mile from the boundary of OTC and walking over the boundary ridge is easier than driving down the road), but each warden may view things differently so a little heads-up goes a long way. The local guy was happy I called.

Definitely keep your bow on your pack.

Thanks guys. I will give the MFWP a call before making any concrete intentions of accessing this way.

I have a general tag for elk in MT and one unit I'm looking at borders a draw unit. There is a trail head in the draw unit that enters the backside of the general unit. My question is, in the eyes of the law is me being on that trail in the draw unit with pack & bow a no no. Or would they be inclined to believe and be acceptable with my intention of reaching the general unit before hunting

Great thoughts. I notify the local game warden, be in hiking mode, and don’t camp in the draw area. Good luck!!

Touching base with the local warden seems like a good idea; but your scenario doesn't sound too concerning. I would hike and camp wherever I want (within land manager's rules of course). Unless there is some really strict weapons rules where you are hunting, I also don't see much issue even if you are carrying your bow as long as you don't actually hunt or shoot an animal in the wrong unit. I guess I'm more of a "burden of proof is on the prosecution" guy in these types of scenarios...and if I'm confident in the regs and have no illegal motives, I'm not worried about a thing.

Notifying the warden would be a good idea, but you're legally using one area of public to access public in another. I've used public access in a neighboring state to access public ground in the state I was hunting.

One thing I do is use a tracker on my phone OnX map. Never done it with elk but works well with birds on public/private boundaries. If there is a dispute I can show the warden exactly where I was.

Late to this game, but I wouldn't worry about it. For one, you could be hunting mtn lion, bear, grouse, coyotes, whatever. I wouldn't be ripping bugles outside your district, but I would just go.

I've done this. I keep in contact with the GW in the units I hunt anyway, but they don't mind heads up on anything out there. It can be surprising what they will remember.

Late to this game, but I wouldn't worry about it. For one, you could be hunting mtn lion, bear, grouse, coyotes, whatever. I wouldn't be ripping bugles outside your district, but I would just go.
Yep. No reason to call a warden. mtmuley

I think you guys are overthinking this...you got a valid tag you got a valid reason to get to zone: go

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back