Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Access clarification please...

Bagel_7

Hello all, my family is going to hunt Eastern Wyoming this fall for the first time. I am looking for a little clarification if possible about what areas I can hunt. Unit 7 has a lot of walk in areas however I do not fully understand the term. Also I am a little lost about non-residents hunting certain areas in WY. Non-residents are allowed to hunt state land, just not national forests correct?

ONX:

cvf4v1f.png

So for those familiar with this system obviously I can hunt yellow areas BLM, but the areas with red outline and black dots are walk in areas. Am I allowed to hunt those? Also the large green state areas I am good to hunt as well correct? Thanks guys, I want my family to enjoy the hunt and getting in trouble for trespassing doesn't fit the bill.

Rookie questions I know, but I want to be sure of myself when I am out there.

Thanks, Trevor

The only public land a non resident is not allowed to hunt for big game are the wilderness areas. National Forest you can hunt but probably won't be if you're only hunting antelope. The National Grassland shown in green on your map should be huntable just like National Forest would be. Yes on the BLM and state lands. And the Walk in Areas you can hunt if they're open for the dates and specie you are hunting. You need to look at the rules for each individual Walk in Area to find out.

Yep... hunt... state lands, BLM and Thunder Basin National grasslands. Walk-in areas I am not so familiar with.

good luck to all
the dog

Thank you I was/am confused if I needed permission from the owner of those walk in areas or if I can just access them as necessary.

Thank you I was/am confused if I needed permission from the owner of those walk in areas or if I can just access them as necessary.

Just park legally and safely at any walkin area that is within the unit your license is good for that allows pronghorn hunting and go hunting. Some have assigned parking lots while others don't and you just safely park along the boundaries that are all well signed. No permission is needed under that program. You should read the rules for each one before you go there though since some just go by the main rules, while others have other specific rules for that WIHA like staying away from a pasture with animals in it, etc. Click on the PUBLIC ACCESS green section at the top right of the G&F main page and then click on the WIHA program. When that comes up go down and click on the county where you'll be hunting and all of the WIHA numbered units will come up on a list so you can click on each one to see the map and click on the rules for it.

If there are HMAs the rules are significantly different so don't assume they are similar.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back