Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

A tradition in our house....

SFC B

So this is actually a Christmas Eve tradition. Both mine and my wife's families are German. The degree to which I can cook is due almost entirely to my mother and Oma.....both long gone.....and so I keep in practice with my German stuff. While my mom past when I was in my teens and my kids never got to meet her, they can at least get a part of her through what I cook. Christmas Eve my kids have a standing order for Jaeger schnitzel mit spaetzle und rot kohl. Here is this year's addition. What traditions (big or small) do you hold?

Attachments

• Xmas Eve 19.jpg
    Xmas Eve 19.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
I could get on board with that!

We're still trying to establish our own traditions but the one we have settled on is soup dinner on Christmas Eve. My mother-in-law and I are trying to get Christmas Jello shots to take hold. They're gaining traction!

My dad or granddad would always cook a prime rib and my grandma would make Yorkshire puddings. Now I've gotten pretty dang good at the prime rib so it's become my job, and my mom sets fire to the Yorkshire puddings in the oven about every other year-which has become an entertaining tradition in itself...

We change up the order of meals based on who can attend on what nights/days but starting the weekend prior to Christmas through New Years we will cook big meals most days anchored by one of these: Prime Rib, Rack of Lamb, Fresh Lobster made into Lobster Rolls, Fresh Dungeness Crab picked out in clumps to eat with lemon and butter, Paella, Chicken and Dumplings, and Nashville Hot Fried Chicken. We usually do a big breakfast on Christmas morning based on my youth as a farm kid: breakfast sausage, bacon, eggs, biscuits, sausage gravy, hash browns and scones with fresh fruit and yogurt. Usually have bean soup with smoked ham hocks and cornbread on New Years Day.

We have a big Christmas morning brunch. It started as siblings/spouses and has grown into extended family and children and more. Tons of delicious food and of course a giant Mimosa bar!
Merry Christmas to all!

Last couple of years,on new years day we've made several types of chili, wild game, beef, chile verde, a white bean chicken variety, and invite friends to stop by at their leisure for freshly prepared food, catch up with friends, foot ball is on tv, in the house and in the garage. It seems like we used to eat leftovers for days, and something made that day is a nice way to remind us it's time to quit.

Chinese takeout Christmas Eve so my wife doesn’t have to spend so much time in the kitchen. Quiche on Christmas Day.

Newer Christmas afternoon tradition but I hope it lasts a while...

Attachments

• C596336A-CB62-4315-93FF-95FD7AF9CB5D.jpeg
    C596336A-CB62-4315-93FF-95FD7AF9CB5D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
We usually have a fish fry Christmas Eve and New Years Eve from our ice fishing catch. I make the jaeger schnitzel in the original post with goose using a Hank Shaw recipe, it is fantastic

Chinese takeout Christmas Eve so my wife doesn’t have to spend so much time in the kitchen. Quiche on Christmas Day.

Newer Christmas afternoon tradition but I hope it lasts a while...
Tip up fishing can be a lot of fun! It can turn you back into a kid at first flag! Any luck?

You ever go to the Edelweiss restaurant in the springs? That place is really good, my wife loves the potato salad. I didn’t travel much when I was in Germany but..man the food was good!

Boomer- no flags but a few jigging. Once the ice firms up here we will go to other lakes that are filled with little northern for some tipup action. It’s been such a weird winter in WI so far, was 50deg our yesterday.

You ever go to the Edelweiss restaurant in the springs? That place is really good, my wife loves the potato salad. I didn’t travel much when I was in Germany but..man the food was good!
Edelweiss is passable but if you want really GOOD German food in the Springs Uwe's is the place. Next time you have a hankering you should give it a shot. http://www.uwesgermanrestaurant.com/ We used to have a joint down by Carson called Schnitzel King but Ziggy went back to Germany when his lease was up....it was great for lunch.

I make a German beef roll every christmas eve along with crab cakes & Scallops. The beef role is thinly sliced beef marinated in tomato or v8 juice. Then a slice of pickle/chopped onion/piece of bacon & a squirt of spicy mustard are rolled up. The roles are browned in bacon fat and butter then put in the oven to braise for a hour in a burgundy wine & beef broth. I then pull them drain the juice "burgundy wine/beef broth" and add crushed Ginger snap cookies to make a gravy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back