A Tank-Tanker

Big Sky

Many people have owned tiger oscars and had them in their fish tanks. I had some many years ago and they are an interesting aggressive fish to raise. When I went on my recent trip to the Everglades, I knew there were some living there, and that they grew to some impressive sizes. I wanted one real bad and didn't know if I would catch any or not. I need not have worried, I ended up catching dozens and dozens of them, but this one was one of the prettiest of the trip. That bright orange against the dark color of the rest of the fish is just absolutely stunning. I never got tired of catching them. They fight extremely hard and aggressively take a fly or a jig. The one big surprise is how fast they are. They are like lightening fast and usually beat any other species (including the peacock bass) to the fly or jig. They are just absolutely a cool fish!
Florida-3-18-22-I.jpg

I had Oscars for years back in my 20's. Fun fish to keep around. Never fished for them though. Looks fun

I know of a few people up here who go to FL on their vacations just to catch Oscars, reputed to be excellent eating.

There seems to be no end to the fish, reptile and animal fanciers who insist on dumping their unwanted curiosities in the local streams or woods when they tire of them or their tank gets too small, all to the detriment of the native species. The walking catfish, snakehead fish, iguanas, pythons, peacock bass, Mayans, monkeys, ad infinitum.

I had an Oscar for 15 years. He was as hateful of a fish as ever lived. We weighed him once before he died and he was over 2lbs. I imagine they could put up a hell of a fight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back