Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

A rambling by the request of Ithaca.

Troy Jones

From my own experiences, no cut and paste from internet sources that could be less than admirable. It's easy to point the finger at any or all of the above normal topics in sportman's issues. That is over simplifying the problems. In order to understand the workings and structure of government lands, it's important to look at the big picture. This encompasses all government lands and the external and internal forces that are delt with.

Public ownership of land is an important part of American society, culture, economy and political structure. Goverment land is held in millions of acres to be conserved, protected and managed for many different purposes. The users of pulic lands have different ideas for the use of the land. Some like it for it's beauty, while others see it as a resource for development. There are many factors that determine opinion on public land. Factors include a persons knowledge, experiences, background, morals, values, and iterests. The private use of public lands will inevitably continue and the multible use of the land is in most part unavoidable.

There are many special interest groups in all areas of the spectrum. Every one of them believes that "their" land is not being used right and that poor progress has been made to date. Balance is an elusive concept in the midst of a tug of war between commerce, moral ethics, etc... You can believe, that all these groups think that their ideals are the only cut and dry choices, with none having any middle ground. It's easy to say in mediation we need or require a balance with a long term economic AND environmental solution, instead of outcomes that are dictated by short term gains promoted by any special group.

Obviously, most believe the depletion or destruction of natural resources on public lands is caused by political beaucrats or big business. As I said in another thread, The problems pertaining the poor management are extremely vast and complex. But what it comes down to, is there are millions and millions of people that require or desire a certain standard of living. To fullfill the wants and needs of this amount of people is stripping the earth of its resources. It's easy to blame someone else, we maybe need to look at ourselves. The politicians and big business's are giving the people what they want. Supply and demand, the american way.

As seen time and time again here on sportsmans issues, the conflicts are strong and intense over the use of our public lands. Loggers, miners, ranchers, and the different aspects of outdoor enthusiasts are tired of having the government tell them how they can and can't use public lands. What is public land for, conservation or development. For the most part there is no choice but to utilize the lands for multible uses. Apparently, from what I understand, planning multiple uses of public land is based around the most complete, accurate, and relevant scientific information that could be obtained. Which arises another problem. The accused cultural biases of the individuals collecting the data. The major concern that administrators have is what happens next year, next decade or next generation is a particular action is taken or not taken and who will benefit or take it in the shorts. The no burn rule for a hundred years is a good example. That resulted in a choked ecosystem and a decline in grazing species. Obviously, humans have become major agents of changing the environment, whether for good or bad. The need will often exist to estimate the trade offs between one output and another. Are these trade offs acceptable to the overall ecosystem or economy? Unfortunatly, that's another problem. What is not acceptable to people in the Rocky Mountain region is more than acceptable to someone on the East Coast.

Humanity has many philosophical or ideological attitudes and positions, what one views as natural, the other views as irrational. Things that some here in SI need to understand is no one or group has all the answers pertaining conservation, economics or virtue. All the cultural differences account for the varied forms of land management. The me, me, me attitude is not one that is very functional. Negotiations or mediation is one perceived on a practical basis in order for the successful use and or concervation of public lands. As a result, people such as Ithaca may not get thier ideal plan of resource utilization, but instead will get a practical plan that will suit a larger cross section that fits more peoples idea of recreation. It's not something I am always happy with, but accept.

I think we all understand that recreation is a basic human need. We need to realize that there are multiple types of recreation. As populations shift, and more money and time is set aside for recreation, the trend in turn increases the demand for it. We all have the responsiblity to protect and preserve the land, but at the same time for the economy and recreational opportunities. Anything else is selfish and tunnel visioned. I have tried working with some personalities like several found on SI and have found them to do more harm for their cause than good in a mediation setting. I've not seen any coming to an understanding with the issues some here lay on the table.

I don't know the answers, I do know that most of the issues brought to SI have the same core problem, with new ones arising annually. What works today probably won't work tommorrow...

I'm not keen on the big picture as a whole, but am familiar with the general outline of it. anyone can easily pick a side. To look at all sides is the hard part.

Sorry I didn't cut & paste or beat a dead horse Ithaca. But you wanted me to start a thread and ramble. So here it is and it didn't cost you a dime. However I would like all the folks here on Hunt Talk to collectively give Ithaca a big hug next time we have a chance.

Troy, you pretty much outlined what is becoming the base of my ideals in pertaining to natural resource management. Moderate stances are not that catchy nor do that usually keep a debate or dialogue open, but in many cases they are the best option available. I'd like to think that I err on the side of caution with respect to NR management, as I feel that allows the best opportunity for future generations. Sometimes perpetuating the status quo may be a good statedgy as it would allow future generations some options, of which the technology wasn't available to use.

Anywho's, good post, I agree heartily.

I agree with 1-Ptr, it is a good post. Thanks Troy.

I also think you need to have the extremes in order to find a middle ground. If I didn't have my extreme positions, then people would think that likes of 1_ptr, Ithica, and Buzz were the extremes. By me flat out calling for NO GRAZING by Welfare Ranchers it allows a middle ground to be found with respect to the Welfare Ranchers who claim to be the "best" stewards of the range.

I also think all Public Land decisons need to be made in the best interest of our children, grand-children, great-grand-children, great-great-grand-children, great-great-great-grand-children, great-great-great-great-grand-children, great-great-great-great-great-great-grand-children, great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grand-children, great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grand-children, great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grand-children.

If our generation extincts the Salmon, future generations will never see the Salmon.

Again, if we make a mistake by protecting too much land, our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grand-children could reverse the decision, if they choose. But if we ruin our public lands, they are out of choices.

Good post Troy.

EG......... Get a life.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
If it weren't for people like you Dickens wouldn't have had a model character for the Christmas Carol.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Troy, good post!!! My son always tells me, "be careful on the internet, a lot of people aren't who they really are". I still think you know what your your taking about. But I did vote for tricky dicky.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
don

Troy, Correction! You said, "But you wanted me to start a thread and ramble. So here it is and it didn't cost you a dime."

I never said anything about rambling. Any fool can ramble. Here's what I said:

"why don't you show us what you can do and start a few topics, yourself, that will stimulate lots of discussion?"

"Next time you wanta bitch about the topics I start how about starting some better ones?"

"You wanna teach people about weed control and beetle infestations so a few people might start taking more interest in it and increase public awareness of the problems? Get off your ass and try starting a public debate about it!"

But thanks for publishing your manifesto!
biggrin.gif
Now, here's a challenge for ya: Please try starting some topics that will stimulate discussion, educate us, and keep this SI forum lively so people will keep coming here to see what's going on. It might not be as easy as you think, but lots of people here get enlightened on lots of issues if we can keep the reading interesting. That's what I enjoy about SI; the education I get and the challenge of keeping SI interesting to me. If someone gets pissed off enough to start a lively debate that's great, as long as some factual info gets disseminated.
biggrin.gif
How ya gonna keep this topic going?
biggrin.gif

Ithaca, I think I'll do what ever I feel like at the time. Right now, I'm thinking icefishing or hanging in my shop building bird feeders. Something more productive than debating with you for no purpose whats so ever.

It must be hard being you...

Troy, Remember who started the trouble with the "blah, blah, blah..." post critisizing my choice of topics? All I did was challenge you to show us how you could do a better job.
biggrin.gif
So far, you're a miserable failure with a bunch of lame excuses.

Well i don`t know what the problem/fight is all about but for my 2 cents that was a damn good post by Troy Jones, I would say that it made alot of sense and covered just about everything in "general" about public lands use,it really isn`t debatable because it was so profoundly written, so what/why/could/should keep the thread going? if there is an argument in it, i sure can`t see it[and i always look for one] it`s a well written, well thought out piece. IMO.
smile.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back