A New Adventure

np307

Propelled by plenty of OT pay last week, my wife, son, and I took off today to one of the best parts of NC that I haven't really explored. The Outer Banks are kind of a long haul from where we live but we decided to try it out for our vacation this year. It's a much welcome break from a busy few weeks. I've only started trying to saltwater fish for a couple years now, so this is not a guaranteed trip by any means. There are some decent reports of sea mullet/whiting/kingfish/whatever the heck you want to call them, as well as trout and a few puppy drum. I'll be happy with any of it, but thrilled to catch a drum.

Also part of this adventure is something sure to incite great conversation: the Subaru gets its first taste of sand. Reading some of the comments in the fishing groups, you'd think that the moment this rig touches sand it is going to instantly bog down. I have a little more faith than that. I'll be sure to chronicle in brutal honesty if things don't work out though.

20230517_190614.jpg

Tonight we are just getting settled, but the beach access opens at 7 in the morning which is high tide. I'm planning to get after it while the wife and boy sleep in.

Live from the surf. Conditions are very windy. I've got 8 ounces out plus bait and can't get anything to hold bottom. There are only a couple other people out here fishing. The Subaru did fine though, driving on the sand is interesting. I had one hit on a piece of shrimp but no fish landed. 20230518_074731.jpg

Have you tried one of those weights that has wire spikes coming off it? That's what I found worked the best when I fished there. I found the fishing to be tough and mainly caught skate and dogfish.

Have you tried one of those weights that has wire spikes coming off it? That's what I found worked the best when I fished there. I found the fishing to be tough and mainly caught skate and dogfish.
I havent. I'm willing to give it a shot because it doesn't look like we'll get any reprieve from the high winds all week.

Live from the surf. Conditions are very windy. I've got 8 ounces out plus bait and can't get anything to hold bottom. There are only a couple other people out here fishing. The Subaru did fine though, driving on the sand is interesting. I had one hit on a piece of shrimp but no fish landed. View attachment 276313
We love the outer banks. Stayed in Rodanthe last 3 trips. They catch some nice drum off the pier. Good luck. I’m sure you know but definitely be sure to let some air out when driving on the sand. Tow companies make a lot of money pulling people out down there.

We have also done decent on the blues off the pier on gotcha plugs. Good luck again.

We love the outer banks. Stayed in Rodanthe last 3 trips. They catch some nice drum off the pier. Good luck. I’m sure you know but definitely be sure to let some air out when driving on the sand. Tow companies make a lot of money pulling people out down there.
+1 don't wait to take air out of your tires. Even if you don't get stuck your car will be getting really hot and working super hard in deep sand. 15psi or less.

Set up on the sound side and currently enjoying a much calmer evening than this morning was. I'm also the only person in this spot. A couple other people came down, looked at the water, and then left. We'll see who made the smarter choice I guess.20230518_160454.jpg

Picking up and moving. Only way to fish there was going to be wading and casting and I don't really have my stuff set up for that. Plus I almost stepped on a good sized ray so I figured that was a sign to move.

Surf was way rougher yesterday evening than yesterday morning, I didn't stay out there very long. Today has been a rain out so I've just been enjoying hanging out at the house with my wife and son. Tomorrow though...

Tomorrow there's a mild south wind coming and I've got a feeling it's gonna be a great day of fishing. Might even be some pompano as they were starting to show up before this front came through. I'm hoping that things are calm enough for me to have a good drum rig out, a high low rig out for whiting, and maybe even be able to throw a jig or a spoon.

Ended the trip how I started the trip, with a whiting and a small flounder. Had a lot of fun still, learned a little bit, and was very happy with how the Subaru did. Would not hesitate to get that thing back in the sand for a second. One of these years I need to do a true fishing trip down here and see if I can get on the bite a little better. Cooperative weather would be nice too. Thanks for following along everyone.

Ended the trip how I started the trip, with a whiting and a small flounder. Had a lot of fun still, learned a little bit, and was very happy with how the Subaru did. Would not hesitate to get that thing back in the sand for a second. One of these years I need to do a true fishing trip down here and see if I can get on the bite a little better. Cooperative weather would be nice too. Thanks for following along everyone.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back