A month in Alaska - Caribou, Sheep, Moose

Man that’s tough. There are bigger things in life than hunting and sometimes we get reminded of that harshly.

The impact of those types of calls are magnified when you're put of pocket. Sorry wllm....

Appreciate all the kind words, whole thing just seems so random... 34, died of a heart attack big climber/backcountry skier, into sleds, rafting, and the backcountry.

Life time of memories... at like age 6 or 7 he had gotten pretty good at climbing and was so excited to show me how to rappel that during one of our parents dinner parties he pulled out his dads climbing gear and rigged up on the second story deck on their house. Bill (his dad) came out to find us mid descent :ROFLMAO:.

Never got to hunt together, but would have loved to share that with him.
1663610927586.png

Appreciate all the kind words, whole thing just seems so random... 34, died of a heart attack big climber/backcountry skier, into sleds, rafting, and the backcountry.

Life time of memories... at like age 6 or 7 he had gotten pretty good at climbing and was so excited to show me how to rappel that during one of our parents dinner parties he pulled out his dads climbing gear and rigged up on the second story deck on their house. Bill (his dad) came out to find us mid descent :ROFLMAO:.

Never got to hunt together, but would have loved to share that with him.
View attachment 240229
Great reflection of your friend, condolences.

I heard about Niels on the day 2 of the moose hunt via inreach. Gave a "classic Alaska character building experience" a pretty tough mental component.

To get to our hunting spot, we rode in 3-4 hours on mules. I have to say having used llamas, horses, and now mules, mules are absolutely the best pack stock.

Better ride than horses, sure footed, were super aware of their load and weren't peeling paniers off on every tree and willow we passed. Also just night and day better than llamas, non of the cantankerous BS that I've dealt with getting down the trail, and covered ground quickly, I bet it would have taken us 2x- 2.5X as long with llamas. Our outfitter clearly knew what he was doing and had a great team of animals.

1663611632740.png

Made camp and set up a bear fence... mostly it worked, though by the last day it was totally F-d. cold driving rain and sleet just killed it, definitely a fair weather device. Maybe you could put the energizer in a trash bag? Ours filled with water and we had to drain it every day.

1663611940629.png

Met the locals... they came through camp a couple of times. We averaged 4 grizz and 2 black bear sightings a day... I think one day we saw 6 grizz.

1663612154545.png

1663612468497.png

1663612510913.png

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back