A little help for a newbie

pokey

First off I would like to sat that I love this site. It's nice to see a place/show dedicated to the diy/public land style of hunting. Some friends and I are looking at doing an archery only pronghorn hunt next. I know we are crazy, but we all feel that if we can't take a big game classed animal by bow first we don't deserve to take it. No offense to the gun guys, I enjoy gun hunting too. Now a lilttle bit of my background. I'm from the great state on IN...I'm a diehard predator guy and just within the past couple years got into chasing whitetails. Which here in IN its all treestands and groundblinds in woods and food plots. We have been checking many of the states that offer pronghorn regs and have notice some like CO and ID have otc tage for archery only. Now have see and read on here we are staying away from ID. Now we are willing to put in for any state. We are looking for somewhere that has good public land access. We aren't looking for massive trophies first time trying, just nice respectable bucks. We also would like many opertunities to have stalks and missed shots. Been reading a lot on here about how well WY is, but are wondering what the likleyhood is we would draw an archery tag next year. Any info to help point us hoosiers in the right way would be awesome.

Thanks.

Yeah I saw that. We are leaning more towards CO or WY. How is the pronghorn hunting in the public land in CO and also about what part of the are good tracks to try for?

Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota have OTC archery antelope tags as well. Seems like the best deal was $150 for Nebraska. In Oklahoma you can buy a second tag for a doe as well. That being said it would be hard to beat Wyoming becasue the # of antelope available.

I like Wyoming myself. I rifle hunt cause I hate hot weather. If I can drive out from New Jersey and find antelope anyone can do it. You still have time to buy a point in Wyoming for antelope and deer. I will be out in October. Keep researching areas and apply march 15th

WOW NEW JERSEY!! I thought I had a long drive from Indiana. You got me beat. Yeah we have narrowed it down to a couple states, just trying to pick which one we wanna try it the hard part.

seriously, Idaho has a butt load of public land... and the second bow season is unlimited tags as long as you put in, and by the second season all the butt heads are out deer and elk hunting so almost every water hole is open.... I shoot a mid 60's too low 70's buck every year since 2002... this year will be 9 in a row....
Matt

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back