Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

A little common sense

diamond hitch

What goes through peoples minds in the pucker brush amazes me. As a horse hunter, one of my biggest headaches is the general lack of common sense and fellow hunter courtesy regarding parking. At any given road end there is usually very few spots to park with a horse or stock trailer. Every once in a while some idiot will park in the center of the turn around making it impossible for anyone else to turn around or get through there. When you show up with a trailer the options go away and a long difficult reverse backup will likely be in play.

One year I came into one of my end of the road turn arounds and some NR pitched his wall tent in the middle of the FS road. There were numerous tent sites within 50 ft that other people used over the years, many of which had stacks of cut and split wood.

I had a little two horse trailer that day and with a lot of fanagaling I got turned around and parked. I made a 10-12 mile sweep through the drainage and got back to the truck about 4 and no one was around. A evil thought crept into my mind and I backed up the trailer close enough to the tent door that when I tied up my gelding his butt was near the flap. As usual as I stripped off the tack, my gelding dropped his obligatory 10 lbs of crap at the door then shed his 5 gallons of rank pee . I loaded up and went home for the night and when I returned in a couple of days the road was clear.

I'm not usually an evil person but should you ever have the urge to pitch your tent in the middle of the turn around remember the options. Just my bitch! Sorry!

I like your logic Diamond. Street justice hands down some tough penalties. I manage public lands and it's amazing how when a parking lot has no cars, someone thinks the best parking spot is in front of the gate.

Common sense is hard to find amongst the masses.

In my experience the average horse hunter is as short on common courtesy as they come. There are always exceptions. There are idiots in every puddle of humanity.
+1
AA.jpg

I don't disagree. The trailheads are a concentration of folks which lead to conflict. we all need to focus on reasonable courtesy for each other. I don't see many hunters on foot or horseback. West of Missoula in the early years, I witnessed open antimosity and aggression against those of us on horses. I'm not sure if it was horse envy, a belief that I had an unfair advantage or what. I usually don't show up until 9:30 or 10 so I don't interfer with the foot hunters prebreakfast hunts and usually go back a couple three miles past their range so there usually isn't any conflict or hasn't been since I moved east of Missoula.

The bottom line is just a general request of everyone for mutual respect and consideration. We should not be our own enemies. It makes more sense to go along and get along. Just don't camp in the middle of the road!

I like to think that I wouldn't purposefully arrange it so my horse would shit on a guy's tent. Not that horse shit bothers me,,, and my dogs seem to like it.

The campground my brother and I have hunted from for several years can get pretty wild on opening weekend. A solution to that is getting there a day or two ahead. Easy for me, being retired. But late arrivers shoehorn their way into any nook or cranny.

Do I feel guilty when I ride past hunters who are walking up a trial??? A little, but it's manageable.

What sort of jackwagon pitches a wall tent in a turnaround? Very rude. My pet peeve is the clown who goes up the wknd prior to opening day and sets up a little crappy kids tent and puts out a chair then heads back to the city thinking he has a reserved camp on NF land. Always amusing when they come up and start complaining about how we’re camped in their spot. How do ya figure dude? We had a tent here! Really? Wasn’t one here when we got here 3 days ago. Grumble kick stones swear. Adios dudes and good luck.

My pet peeve is the clown who goes up the wknd prior to opening day and sets up a little crappy kids tent ...
Mine too ... esp the clowns who build a blue tarp tent / fort, then leave it up the entire season ... and beyond as you return to the area in the spring to find shredded blue tarp and other debris everywhere. :mad:

Don't feel guilty. You aren't gaining any advantage on hunters like me by riding past. mtmuley

Thanks, now all of my guilty feelings have been washed away.

A person never knows with certainty how other hunters will help or hinder their own hunt. If my horse and I push elk into another hunter's lap, it's fine by me.

Now,,, as to setting chairs in camping spots, when you aren't around for days,,,,that's a bull$hit move that is far too common.

Thanks, now all of my guilty feelings have been washed away.
Glad I could help. I've killed lots of elk after a horse " hunter" rode by. Hell, one even became a good friend and packed out a few bulls for me. Too bad he rode by them. mtmuley

If “common sense” is so common why is there so little of it?

We found an empty site and were camped in the Pike Natl. Forest last September for 3 days hunting elk when on a Friday night after dark a SUV stops at the entrance of our site and starts swearing at us for camping in his spot. All we could do was laugh. The next day when we returned he had come over and written a bunch of profanities in the dirt. I just had to send kind thoughts his way. Poor guy must have sat on a long stick...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back