Caribou Gear Tarp

A Kaibab Muzz hunt

MTGomer

I drew a Nov muzzleloader tag with 0 points.
Determined to make the most of such an opportunity, I decided it would be a big buck or nothing.
I talked to folks that have hunted or guided it, put in some time scouting, made a plan and went for 9 days.

The hunt started chilly at 19 degrees and with the new moon coming, hopes of full rut were high.
The little bucks were confirmed to be feeling it.
The only buck that could be described as something other than small was seen on the 6th day. He was alone, feeding. No shots were fired.
Pressure seemed high the first couple days for only 15 tags. It died down after the weekend.

I’m glad I didn’t have a decade or two of points invested in this. I had fun, but it was underwhelming.

Pretty dry story, I know.

IMG_0397.jpeg
IMG_0367.jpegIMG_0414.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. Its good to hear some real world stories. Congrats on an experience in a special place

Less than stellar hunt beats great work days - Hands down! Beer, Whisky, Elk/Deer/Bear brats boiling in an open topped Cold Smoke along-side fire coals, stumps around the fire (or folding chairs now-a-ways), good friends, canvas wall tent and... one hell of a muley! THAT would have been back strap skewers that night!

You, Gomer, have a high bar - and kudos to you for that. PM the coordinates... please. Almost appears 5x6! /#droolingformuleynoob

Thanks for filling us in on your hunt. I was wondering how this hunt went.

I was hoping for a great hunt and buck. I had been looking at trying for some of the early rifle tags with my points but if November was a let down October might be worse?

Even in the rut the big bucks are hard to find in that unit. They survive to old age by going nocturnal once the quads and SxS army hits every road in the area. You get a few minutes in the morning and sometimes a few in the evening. Occasionally midday water holes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back