Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

A covered pit catches a bison

Elkhunter

A young bull bison fell into an abandoned seepage pit at the McColliister home site in the eastern section of Grand Teton National Park on Wednesday. The yearling buffalo was discovered by a park employee that afternoon. The pit was covered with plywood, but apparently, the cover gave way when the animal walked across it. The pit is a cone shaped concrete-lined area about 7 feet deep. Park biologists, rangers and maintenance personnel used a backhoe to dig a trench adjacent to the seepage pit and built a ramp for the bison to use as an escape route. The bison was carefully pulled from the pit by a rope attached around its horns. The bison was alive, but very weak. He suffered some external abrasions when he struggled to get free of the pit, and may have internal injuries. Park staff checked on the bison yesterday. He had moved about 10 yards and still seemed week. The pit has been covered by heavy equipment to prevent the animal from falling into it again. A park service press release said that bison are hearty animals, and have been known to survive after significant accidents or injuries.

Way to cool the Bison lived....
We had one of my trucks back tires fall into a well a long time ago, when we were wiping all the trees out of a yard. It was even in a new subdivision. The home owner was actually glad it was my truck and not him on his riding lawn mower...
Great endings..

Wells are a different story all together. They are a lot of times filled in, as was the one above, but the problem lies when the top gets a root mass grown across it, and the organic material below deteriorates away, you are left with a thin covering of organic material that has a void (in our case it was 16 feet). Old farm sites are notorius for this type of problem.

Covered pit, open pit, on a spit, who cares?? Get the BBQ sauce!! :D

HAHAHA!!!! That would work... Lets just eat the evidence, then throw dirt over it to hide what's left! :D

:eek: :eek: Please tell me you are just kidding. As you know from reading the above article, this was not only on Federal land but also in a National Park. ;)

!!! National Park !!!
That is even better, gets one really close, and the hunting pressure is almost if not nil in most all of them... :D :D :D

There are plenty of Buffs, no one will miss just one of those big critters... :D
I would like to get a Moose, but I would imagine those leggy buggers would just step out of any thing they stepped into... ;) :D

Back around 1990 or 91, a moose got into a pool and they had a heck of a time getting it out, long legs and all. ;) But that was back when we had a respectable moose population.

!!! Water !!!!
I didn't even think of that, I could flood a pit and make a mire for them to get stuck in....Yes!!! That would work, I can catch moose... :D :D :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back