Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

A couple coyotes

BOWUNTR

I had a couple hours the other day to go out a do a little calling. We had a good rain storm blow through yesterday so the conditions were good. On my first setup I made a short series with my hand call and immediately heard a coyote coming through the brush. He stopped at 15 yards and I shot right over his back. Buck fever like I've never had it before. I haven't had a shot at a coyote in a while and sh!t my pants with excitement. No worries, here comes another one. I reload and she stops at 30 yards. I made up for my miss with a heart shot. The dog went 10 yards. Another one was coming in but never came into range.

2nd stand was a bust. After my first series, I had a couple dogs start chop barking at me. They were call wise , but not by me as I don't believe I've called to these dogs before. It is a new area for me.

3rd stand was at a place where I cleaned out a tree last year. The tree was covered with ants when I cut it out. I checked the tree and saw very few ants... good to go. I climbed the tree and apparently woke up all the ants. What a mess, hundreds were were crawling all over me and biting when they got a chance. Too good of a setup to waste. I started calling and a good size male comes in to 15 yards and stops. He's gonna bolt so I let it go. A little far back and high but a spine shot. Dropped him in his tracks. A nice male. This was the first coyote I've ever shot out of a tree, because there are very few trees where I hunt. I believe that hunting out of a tree is the best way to get a coyote with a bow. You are much more likely to get your bow drawn back. Ed F

index.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back