A buddy just sold me a basically brand new Metcalf for $300.

If it fits you then I would say its a win. I've only had my Metcalf for a year but I love it. I used it last year to pack out an antelope, whitetail doe and part of a moose. It is super comfortable.

I got a Kifaru Gun Bearer to carry my rifle and its a nice setup.

I got this same deal 3 years ago on rockslide for a almost new one. It’s such a game changer as I had never had a frame day pack before.

I got this same deal 3 years ago on rockslide for a almost new one. It’s such a game changer as I had never had a frame day pack before.
I’m 100% green when it comes to multi-day trips not involving a canoe. Am I going to need to use the overload function if I plan on spending a few days in the back country? I know packs get bigger than 4300 in3.

I’m 100% green when it comes to multi-day trips not involving a canoe. Am I going to need to use the overload function if I plan on spending a few days in the back country? I know packs get bigger than 4300 in3.
I don’t even know what the overload function is. I have packed mine full of lightweight gear for 3 days no problem. Lots of options for how to attach the lid or for clipping something to the bottom with the 2 straps there

Depends on your gear. A 7 day trip in a Metcalf is really pushing the capacity limits. I’ve done 9, with my tent strapped on the outside.

Depends on your gear. A 7 day trip in a Metcalf is really pushing the capacity limits. I’ve done 9, with my tent strapped on the outside.
I don't see myself being the in back country for more than 7 days at a time.

The pack fits me well tho, its the same size as another MR pack I already have, so I wasn't too worried about about it not fitting.

I have a Metcalf. Its an awesome pack. I love mine. I've used it to haul out everything from moose quarters to whitetail. I also use mine to train with an 80lb sandbag. It'll carry more then you can. I think you'll really enjoy it. Just adjust it to fit you and you'll be good. I think its good for 7-10 days maybe stretch it out to 14 but I don't carry a lot of gear and my stuff packs down pretty small.

As far as accessories go I bought a sitka rain cover off camofire that I always carry and a universal snap on belt pouch off ebay. However, I don't really like the belt pouch so I don't use it much. When I first ordered mine I thought I would be disappointed with the lack of pockets, but now I really like. Simpler is better for me.

Have fun with it!

I'm new to this and picked up a metcalf a few months ago. We're heading to CO this year for archery elk hunt in Sept. Would LOVE to see your gear list for that 7 day hunt, if you'd be willing to share it?

Thanks,
Reef

I'm new to this and picked up a metcalf a few months ago. We're heading to CO this year for archery elk hunt in Sept. Would LOVE to see your gear list for that 7 day hunt, if you'd be willing to share it?

Thanks,
Reef
I don’t have a gear list. Your basics:

Tent
Pad
Bag
Water filter
Survival gear
Rain gear
Knife, game bags
Headlamps
Food
Spotting scope
Binos/range finder

I bought a used metcalf last year and really like it so far. Was able to use it on 2 elk, 3 deer and a bear so far. I also bought a mule bag to use on the frame for smaller trips that works really well.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back