Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

A bowhike, a bowhunt, and a shit sandwich

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
That feeling will stick with you for a while, believe me I know, but that's because your ethics are right and your respect for the game. The sting of that emotion will fade but I suspect you'll be a much more effective hunter because of the experience in the future. Thanks for sharing!

We all can empathize with you. We've all been there. I had a moose hunt when I was 18 almost go similarly. I knew I hit it a little far back. I couldnt see where he left the water and went into the woods. My hunting partner could, but he wasnt much help. Hours went by. Couldnt find blood or a track you could say was his. 6 hours into it I was ready to give. For no rhyme or reason I went down a trail found the broken off arrow and 50 yards later there he was. Maybe 250 yards from where he was shot. I pride myself in taking good shoots. As you do obviously. When I do take a bad one, like all hunters I try to find out what went wrong. And what I could do to make it not happen again. As much as we all beat ourselves up for it, in cases like yours nothing could be done. We always think we could have done something different. And that's not always the case. You did what any ethical hunter would. You busted your ass. Probably went above and beyond in trying to recover the animal. Nothing to be upset about. It sucks eggs big time, but thats bowhunting. Your reaction is what makes this OK. I was hunting with a guy that put a "50 yard shot" on a whitetail. I asked him to get in the stand and tell me where he was because I couldnt find anything. He knew how far it was because he ranged that distance (allegedly) earlier. He thought he hit the animal high. When we ranged it it was closer to 65...yet he hit high ( he thought). He said the animal went one way and he watched it the whole time. When I finally found blood not far from where it was hit, the animal was going the other direction. It was pitch black. Blood was difficult to see. Rather than wait till morning he wanted to look in a swamp where he thought it went, despite initial blood saying otherwise. When that proved futile we went home. I told him I'd help him look in the morning. He was confident it wasnt a fatal shot so he didnt want to look. It may not have been a fatal shot, but me personally Im putting in more time than 30 min in the dark. I owe it to the animal as an ethical hunter. Needless to say I will not be hunting with that guy again. Which is tough considering he's family.

Jason

The fact that this bothers you terribly is a reflection of your character. Lesser men would just dismiss this as something that happens. You gave it an "A" effort.

Its the unspoken word...
If you bowhunt THIS will happen.
Been there,done that. All you can do is your best...to search. I know too many people that have walked away.
Truth...it WILL make you a better hunter.

Great story! In my opinion every bow or rifle hunter will experience this at least once in their lifetime and if they haven't....they never hunted or shot at many animals.

Been there. Crummy feeling. I looked for 3 days out of stubbornness or whatever it is. Used my GPS to record grid lines and everything else. Text the local game warden friend and told her I was disgusted and was just going to punch my tag. She said the coyotes have to eat too, keep hunting. Thought about that for a day, then went hunting. bought beef that winter.

Sorry to hear - terrible feeling. I have been there, as well.
You did your best and yet it still bothers you. Much respect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back