Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

A bigger grouse fanatic than BigFin...

406LIFE

...that was one of the things that struck me as I read through this autobiographical account of Theodore Roosevelt's pursuit of game throughout the Northern Rockies. If he didn't find his intended quarry, the hunt wasn't a failure if he came home with a a few grouse.

This quote also struck me, since I live and hunt in there: "The finest hunting round in America was, and indeed is, the mountains region of Western Montana...in this high, cold land of lofty mountains, deep forests, and open prairies with its beautiful lakes and rapid rivers, all the species of big game...are to be found."

It is also very engaging to hear him describe areas that he traveled to hunt and to have been or hunted in the same areas: The Big Hole, the Bitterroots, the Kootenai River, the Bighorns, Missoula area.

Most of the stories are direct, with little flare, but the sheer number makes one wish to have been along. He's honest about himself, and even with technology a hundred years ago, you wonder how he managed to connect to anything. One story about him antelope hunting makes you wonder: After he shot a pronghorn at 125 yards, his companion walked up to it and asked where TR was aiming. He replied behind the shoulder. "You hit him right through the eye." That made TR wonder if that was even the same antelope he intended to shoot and what else he may have wounded. This puts a humanity to a revered figure that often is not referenced.

A great read, and one worth adding to your list. Many quotes and anecdotes were discovered that made TR much more relatable as a hunter.

Attachments

• 1563489672313.png
    1563489672313.png
    268.5 KB · Views: 3
Back