Yeti GOBOX Collection

'96 Polaris Indy trail snowmobile

D4570

Earlier this spring, out bear hunting, one of our Indy's stopped moving.
Motor ran good clutches were trying to work but the track would not turn. Ice or snow was not a problem. Had to put it on our "bear" sled and pull it out 17 miles. It has been on the trailer ever since.

Well I thought we would need it sooner then we think, not to mention hunting seasons start the first of Sept, In fact, some of our "Shoulder" cow elk seasons started last Saturday.

This unit has reverse but it did not work I was thinking the reverse gear got loose or something and was stopping it from going either direction. I opened up the Chain box and pulled everything out. It all looked OK for a 96 anyway, Nothing looked out of place. BUT the track still will not move. HUMM?

I'm going to tip it over and see what I see, I can see one bogie wheels is in bad need for replacement.

I don't think the "drive shaft" would be the problem. I gave no evidence, or noise when we were running it. The problem happened when we stopped. I have read a track can seize due to several reasons. I probably could pull out the suspension by myself self but the shaft looks like a two-person job.

Anyone here a snowmobile guru? Insight or information?

I have not made it back out to the shop to turn it on its side yet, But that's where I'll start thanks.
There is a black bogie wheel that is off it's bearing would that make that happen? there was GOBS of snow when we were running.

I have not made it back out to the shop to turn it on its side yet, But that's where I'll start thanks.
There is a black bogie wheel that is off it's bearing would that make that happen? there was GOBS of snow when we were running.

It could make it happen. Or....the track stopping could make it come off the bogie.
If you have bad bearings on the bogies, that is a good indicator.

dod you have enough snow to keep em cool?

There is but only 3 wheels, two on the out of the slides, and one on the left side inside the slides.
By looking at it there is only 3, someone would have to have taken the other one out as there is zero evidence of anything ever being there.
sm-3-wheels-in-back.jpg

I got the track broke loose and it was frozen to the slides and a good amount of plastic residue on the keepers.
The slide still looks OK to me.
I did find one bogie that has come off the bearing and ran for sometime loose.
sm-bad-bogie.jpg

sm-bad-bogie-other-side.jpg

Think that could make this happen? Like I said we went 17 miles in on 6" to 2 feet of powder with a foot or two hard snow under it.
The track feels quite tight, but the backend is lifted and I don't know how much the struts are pushing on it...
Think I can change the bogie without taking the assembly out?

It may have been to tight to begin with causing it to heat up enough to melt the hyfax. Check your owners manual it should tell you how much space you need when the track is elevated off the ground and hanging. It may require a certain amount of weight to pull down on the track to get the proper gap between it and the rail. Sounds like it's time for a new set of hyfax's.

Well I think the damage was done when we were stuck and had to spin the track hard for a half hour to get out then parked on a hard snow drift.
The bad bogie must have put everything outa whack.
It was not bad getting the carriage out, the bogie is on its way and I ordered new slides today , be here next week. Time is short. Crane hunting on the first...
sm-slides-4.jpg

sm-slides-5.jpg

sm-slides-6.jpg

sm-slides.jpg

sm-slides-1.jpg

sm-slides-3.jpg

sm-slides-2.jpg

Since you have put in this amount of work. Make sure you check all your track clips to make sure they are all there and they don't have holes worn through them. If there are holes in them they will act like a sharp knife and shave your slides down to nothing in a hurry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back