Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

8X vs. 10X Binos ???

Colberjs

My wife is talking about getting me some new glass for our anniversary. I am looking at the Vortex Talons.

What are the pros and cons of each magnification? I'm assuming each is better suited for different circumstances. The majority of my hunting is no more than 300-400 yds and usually well under that. But I do plan on doing more western big game hunting in the coming years.

Also I see some of them as having "roof prisms". Appears to be a feature of the pricier Binos. How does this make them better?

Until now my best pair of binos have been a pair of $120 Walmart Nikons. They give me a headache when using them for extended periods of time.

The 8X will give a wider and brighter view over 10X. For what you are using them for now I would steer towards the 8X and if you go out west get a spotter as well. BTW I still have the zeiss demos available

Last edited:
I've always heard that 10x was not for those with shaky hands and gains you little benefit over 8x. However, I've always used 10x, I've grown accustomed to them hunting out West and it would be hard to change to 8x. With most of your hunting being within 3-400 yards, I think the 8x would suit you just fine, just get good glass so your eyes don't ache!! Check out www.cameralandny.com and www.samplelist.com for a good pair of store demo glasses. Also, check out predator optics (Schmalts on this forum) for a good deal on optics and even better info and recommendations. Good luck!

Schmalts,
I'm having trouble finding those demos on your site. Which Zeiss binos are they?
Thanks!

Also I see some of them as having "roof prisms". Appears to be a feature of the pricier Binos. How does this make them better?

As far as Prisms go, there are two prism options for Binos. Roof Prisms and Porrp Prisms.

See links for examples of each...
Porro prism
http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-7x35-falcon.html

Roof Prism
http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-bx-4-mckinley-hd-10x42mm-roof-prism-binoculars-black.html

Roof Prisms are a bit harder to make, and a bit more costly. The do however, allow a more compact design. Straight tube instead of angled. Assuming the Glass quiality is identical, performance will be nearly identical. Roof Prisms will be lighter, more compact, easier to operate and (in my finding) more durable.

As far as the difference between, 8X and 10X. No need to beat a dead horse. That is already covered.

I use 10's, as do most of the folks I hunt with. That being said. I use my 7X rangefinder for most stuff when I'm archery hunting, and my Dad swaps his 10X42s out for a pair of 8X32's for Archery season. Either magnification works quite well out west. The biggest benefit to upgrading binos is to get better quality glass! Overall the Glass and Coatings are what make the optics, not necessarily the magnification. If you can get a good deal on a "lightly used" pair of Zeiss... DO IT! Especially if your wife is footing the bill:D

Thanks for the replies. I've always purchased 10X in the past but think I may try 8X this time around.

Scmalts, thanks for the heads up on the Zeiss. We were thinking of using the Bass Pro 6-pay program to keep from taking the hit all at once, but if we decide to buy outright I'll get back with you. I work in the concrete business and money is always a little tight this time of year with work slowing down for winter. Do you sell Vortex also? May look into the Theron's also.

If you are doing a lot of long-distance glassing and trying to judge trophies etc., then the 10x is going to be a better option. I really like the 8x for general glassing and carrying in the truck. The 8x will give you a little better field of view.

I have and use both and like both magnifications. The magnification is not as important as the quality. Buy the best quality that your wallet will allow within your budget and you will not regret it. I have a pair of Cabelas waterproofs that I have had for years and they have been flawless. I also have a pair of Nikon Monarchs that are real great. I have some older Bushnell Trophy and a small set of Leupold 7x and all have served well for many years.

Unless you are using them all the time in extreme conditions, I don't think that it is necessary to buy the super expensive binos such as Zeiss or Lieca, but that depends on what you feel comfortable spending.

With everything else being equal, 8x will allow you to glass in lower light conditions. That makes it an easy decision.

Just bought a pair of 10x42 Vortex Razor HDs to go with my 20-60-85mm Vortex Razor HD spotting scope. Can't wait to take both out for more fun in 17 days.

I went through the same 'problem' a couple of years ago (8X or 10X). I always had 10X, but they were always a little less expensive glass.

My brother had gotten some 10X Swarvoski's. I loved them - but the were a little tough to hold steady unless I was glassing from a sitting position. When I made my big purchase I went with 8X.

Love them and don't miss the extra 2X.

I'll take an 8x in quality glass over a 10x in lower end to middle of the road brands any day of the week. 8's will help you find game better. Then you will pull out the spotter if your counting inches anyway.

If you care more about filling tags than counting inches and don't use a spotter, I think 10's can have a purpose.

I'm a little shaky, not super steady handed, so 8's are what I prefer no question to reduce eye fatigue.

Have had 8x and 10xs, and settled on 10x. The wife has a nice pair of 8x and always steals my 10x while where hunting because she can spot animals easier. Field of view really has little to do with spotting animals.

I like 8x for tree stand archery hunting, and really nothing else. an 8x weighs as much as the 10 and gives up very little in the way of light gathering and field of view, not enough to realize IMO.

Some of the mid priced glass is very comparable to the top end stuff. I've been pretty impressed with Vortex and Minox stuff. Very comparable to my Swaros, half the price and weight...

I have to disagree with bambi that FOV will not help spot animals. I have both (way too many) binos and in areas of small rolling hills and canyons I have cursed myself for bringing my 10x. I have gravitated towards 8x for most hunting these days. The exception is things like runt whitetail hunting in AZ.

I prefer 8X myself.

A lot of my binocular use is standing, on the move when I stop for a minuet to "check out" a tree line or hill side. 8X is easier to hold steady.

If you know you will be sitting and rested, the 10X might be a better choice "but", if your hunting day includes a lot of both, 8X will spot 95% as much as 10X seated, but 10X will not hold half as steady as 8X if your breathing hard.
As always with optics, quality beats magnification every time. A good pair of 8X is much better than a cheap pair of 10X.

Last edited:
Anybody familiar with Minox? Camofire has them right now 8X42 for $249. (Reg. $489)

Those are not ED glass you should wait. If this is going to be step up get ED glass or wait. $50 more can get you into something better

Last edited:
Those are not ED glass you should wait. If this is going to be step up get ED glass or wait. $50 more can get you into something better

Thanks!! May not have to do the Bass Pro route so when I decide what I want I'll give you a shout.

Back