Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

8mm-06 Mauser questions for those who know guns...

TNTBurton

My grandfather passed away a few years ago and I inherited one of his many Mausers. I have very limited knowledge when it comes to guns... I'd like to do some hunting with it, however I can't seem to find any factory ammo that is stamped 8mm-06. Any and all info on this caliber is appreciated and if I can even find ammo for it? Thanks for any and all help!

I believe you got yourself a wildcat chambering and I don't think you're going to find factory ammo for it. Your grandfather may have had a set of dies that you or an experienced handloader could use to very carefully work a load for you. But personally, I suggest using the opportunity to liberate that fine Mauser action for the sporting rifle project of your choice.

It is definitely a reloaders cartridge.
You may have luck asking around for a guy near you that can load ammo to your needs.
Regular 30-06 brass can be fire formed in your rifle , so that's where to start. Then the proper reloading dies will be needed.
Some person may have the equipment to help you out.
Otherwise it's a good reason to buy a reloading kit and get started learning the process.
Unless you plan to rebarrel it or sell it.

8mm-06 is as was mentioned already, a wildcat chambering. No factory ammo.
Essentially a 30-06 necked up from .308" to .323".
The other thing being, are you ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that it is indeed 8mm-06?
If any question at all exists, then get a gunsmith to do a chamber casting.

I believe you got yourself a wildcat chambering and I don't think you're going to find factory ammo for it. Your grandfather may have had a set of dies that you or an experienced handloader could use to very carefully work a load for you. But personally, I suggest using the opportunity to liberate that fine Mauser action for the sporting rifle project of your choice.

Sounds like he already has a fine sporting rifle. Bullet selection for the 8mm is not as great as for other calibers, but there's enough to get the job done for most anything in North America.

Its a great round, but as others have said you will have to reload for it. Or if you don't want to look up copper creek ammo, they will reload for you.

Plenty of bullet options, I suggest the 200gr accubond

8mm-06 wildcats were common post WW2 as GI's wanted to shoot the war trophies they brought back, but had trouble finding ammo for the 8mm Mauser. Because of post WW1 laws, civilians couldn't own military caliber weapons, and so the old .318 diameter 8mm chambering stayed around long after the military adopted the .323 diameter bore. Take it to a gunsmith & have the barrel slugged so you know if you're dealing with a .318 or .323 diameter bore. that informs your load choices. You will need to either handload or find a custom loading operation to produce ammunition.

The 180 etip or ttsx would be my choice for this. You should be able to get to 2800 fps with that. Its comparable to the 30-06. Post some pics & let's see the rifle!

I always wanted an 8mm-06, but in today’s world a .338-06 makes a lot more sense due to bullet selection. The primary reason they did it back then was usually because the Mauser had an 8mm barrel, but for one reason or another, the owner didn’t want to shoot an 8x57 and it was cheaper to re-chamber than to re-barrel.

In order to you use it, you’ll need to expand the necks of 30-06 brass to 8mm. It will probably be too much to do with an expanded ball, so you’ll probably need a tapered expander button to install on your regular sizing die, or you could use a tapered expander mandrel on its own die. The tapered buttons are fairly cheap. If you can find your grandfather’s dies whatever he was using is probably there and perfectly suitable. Once you expanded the neck, which is really easy, you can proceed with reloading as your normally would.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back