8 or 9 - AZ Late Rifle

huntertx

If you had to pick between unit 8 or 9 late rifle, which would you choose? Looks like my party app has enough point to guarantee a late rifle tag if a certain high point holder joins.

My general understanding is that 9 has bigger bulls on average but it’s flat juniper country makes it tough for a late rifle hunt...whereas unit 8 might be a little smaller on average but the country is more conducive for glassing/late rifle.

I've hunted unit 9 three times for late elk. You must know where the water is. The elk are there. Need to intercept them going to water. FWIW, it gets really cold in 9 for the late season, -0° or below. GJ

8. Even though 9 is one of the best early hunt in the state its one of the worst late hunts.

Thanks guys. There’s 200 more tags in 8 than 9 for late rifle. Does it feel cramped ?

Thanks guys. There’s 200 more tags in 8 than 9 for late rifle. Does it feel cramped ?
Yes and no. Along the main roads it does seem busy, on the minor and spur roads you hardly see anyone most of the time. Buddy had a deer hunt over there two years ago, 600 tags. It was a zoo unless you got away from the easy stuff.

Def unit 9... you never want to hunt a unit that has an even number....Everyone knows that.

Back