PEAX Equipment

7wsm???

wisconsinteacher

My 7wsm will be arriving from the smith soon. I have a good supply of RL-22 and H4831sc on hand. I'm currenly sitting on some 150 Partitions, 150 Balistic Tips, 162 ELD-X and 175 ELD-X bullets. My hope is to create a 500 yard hunting rifle for elk/deer/antelope.

Any recommendations on bullets I should look into or loads that might do the trick. I plan on working with the rifle this summer to get it ready for next year.

Thanks

Of the options you list, the Partition and the Hodgdon powder will remove most performance variables, and have the most predictable (and proven) performance. The others leave too much to be desired as far as consistency (temperature stability and terminal performance, especially on elk.)

I love Partition performance. That being said I have switched to non lead. I have been extremely impressed with the accuracy and performance of Barnes TTSX. I wanted to try Nosler E Tips but availability is just not the same as Barnes. I am going to eventually switch all my hunting calibers/rounds to Barnes TTSX.

my two best loads both involve 62grains of IMR 4350 and 140grain bullets. IMR 4350 is widely known to be a solid powder in the WSM's

For those of you who reload this round, Midway just put a sale on Hornady 50ct boxes of this brass. Just came over my email and since it was still fresh, might as well share it with those who may benefit from it.

For those of you who reload this round, Midway just put a sale on Hornady 50ct boxes of this brass. Just came over my email and since it was still fresh, might as well share it with those who may benefit from it.
Yup....word to the wise for 7WSM owners...buy brass whenever you can! Thankfully Hornady has recently started production, and they seem to have a steady supply, but prior to that it was often hard to come by. For a time it seemed like Winchester was the only company making it and they would only produce a run once every year or two(and it would sell out immediately). I bought up a couple hundred rounds of Winchester brass the last time it was available, and I have another package of Hornady packed away for a rainy day. Things seem ok right now, but a few years ago it seemed that 7mm WSM was on the cusp of being out of production. From what I have read, you cannot easily make 7WSM brass out of 270 or 300WSM because of different dimensions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back