PEAX Equipment

7mm-08 bullets not grouping.

williaada

I have run out of my go to round for my 7mm-08 Remington accutips. I have tried a couple of boxes of the hornady whitetail rounds. Where I can not get them to group. Anyone have suggestion on a replacement bullet until I can get back to the reloading bench.

Thanks
Adam

For reloading?

Hammers are a possibility. I see many options from Hornady, Nosler, Speer , Sierra every time I go to the gun shop. You will just have to pick one and try it

For factory ammo, I've had pretty good accuracy (around 1 in groups) with Hornady Superformance. I don't know if you can find it right now, but it's shot well for me. As others have said, Federal premium bullets tend to work very well if you can find them.

The Fed Premium others have mentioned are good stuff to try. As you tried Hornady American Whitetail and they are a no go, I have had mixed results with them myself, I would try to pickup a couple of different boxes of stuff. In one of my 7mm-08 rifles I get great results with Hornady Superformance 139 gr GMX. I would also try Norma Whitetail ammo if I were you. If you live where you can get ammo shipped to you they have it available on their online store.

The Fed Premium others have mentioned are good stuff to try. As you tried Hornady American Whitetail and they are a no go, I have had mixed results with them myself, I would try to pickup a couple of different boxes of stuff. In one of my 7mm-08 rifles I get great results with Hornady Superformance 139 gr GMX. I would also try Norma Whitetail ammo if I were you. If you live where you can get ammo shipped to you they have it available on their online store.
Thanks, knowing someone else has had it where their gun does not like the round makes me feel better about it.

The barnes bullets seem to do well in a wide range of rifles. They aren't as sensitive to seating depth vs chamber length. Try to find some in federal or barnes.

I wouldn't want to be trying to find factory ammo that a rifle liked right now. I would suggest that you get two boxes of each, or at least you get something that you know you can go back and get more after shooting and determining what your rifle likes. You wouldn't be in any better situation if you found a great shooting round and only have ten rounds left:(

My 7mm-08 Ruger American has shot most everything good so far. I've tried the federal power shock, Hornady Precision, Federal Premium and federal fusions. I try to shoot 150 grains, but also have had good luck with 140 grain.

Every gun seems different. Some do really well with one brand, and really poor with another. Just have to buy a box and try is the best I've found

You're just rolling the dice with factory ammo and your rifle, but many people get good accuracy from Federal Premium 140 ballistic tips.
This is the only non-handloaded ammo I've ever run through my 7-08 and it was pretty accurate. No idea where you'd find any at present.

I've had good luck with Hornady American Whitetail in other guns, but sounds like yours doesn't like it. Another factory ammo I've had good accuracy with in other rifles is Federal Fusion. Might give that a try if you can find some.

Not that I have personally used them, but overall had good results across the board with my other rifles......Winchester plain Jane white box.

My 7/08 has never had a commercial load fired through it. Nothing but 120-150gr Nosler's pumped by Varget, or RL-15.

The 2 factory ammo's that I have had the most luck with is the standard Winchester Powerpoint and Federal Fusion.

My suggestion...

Belly up to your loading bench!

Your dilema is a major reason i hand load.
That & the satisfaction of a successful harvest, or small group by something you made!

Last factory ammo i bought was some 20ga turkey loads & 22LR.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back