Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

7mm-08.... Avoid the shoulder?

Regardless of caliber, I like to shoot them just behind the shoulder on "this" side, but I am aiming for the shoulder on the "other" side. This puts the bullet through the vitals, and breaks the shoulder on the off-side. Results are dead elk with no tracking.
I would use the same aiming spot if using the 7mm-08.

One of my boys killed his fist elk with a 120 grain ttsx out of his 7-08. He hit the shoulder and the cow dropped on the spot. The bullet did not exit, but blew right through the upper humerus. The shot was 273 yards.

I have culled brumbies with the 7/08 using 140gn Nosler accubonds. Never had an exit wound shooting through the should but they do drop

Not enough credit is given to the 7mm-08. After all, it IS a .308 necked down to 7mm. Essentially a .308 class cartridge with better B.C.s and better speed.

Reactions: DFS
Interesting, and although I don't have a wall covered with mounts, I have never, ever, been told to shoot for the shoulder. Whether shooting a 300WSM, 30-06, 7mm-08, or 62 caliber patched round ball, always shot for the boiler room. In fact, in my circle of friends, I know of none that intentionally shot for the shoulder.

David
NM

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back