7 Bow Myths Tested

COEngineer

I thought this was really interesting because I am looking for a new bow and accessories:
https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/whitetail-365/2013/06/your-perfect-bow-part-1-does-brace-height-really-affect-forgiveness#page-2

Points covered:
1. Brace height doesn't matter (6" vs 7")
2. Bow length (ATA) doesn't matter
3. Single pin sights are better for accuracy, especially at longer ranges (if you have good eye sight)
4. Fall-away rests only improve accuracy a little bit and at longer ranges
5. A short stabilizer does very little, but a 10-12" stabilizer can help significantly
6. 1" too long draw length is awful
7. Skinny or no grips on the riser are better

I thought for sure someone would want to argue about the finer points here. I guess everyone agrees 100% ;)

I just haven't had time to read the article yet. I do have an argument or 2 brewing, but I'll reserve judgment until after I've given these assertions a fair and equitable hearing... Or reading.

Can't wait to dig in. I've been considering the skinny grip and this may put me over the edge.

I thought for sure someone would want to argue about the finer points here. I guess everyone agrees 100% ;)

I'm really past the arguing...give your thought and move on. No need to tell us what you think I'm wrong...

People argue about this type of thing? Seems kinda silly given the stakes are so low....

I'mma try the skinny grip. I've noticed significant changes kny shot depending on how I grip the bow. Perhaps the skinny grip could help with that. I already shoot a short bow with a short brace height, fall away rest, and multi-pin sight (didn't see anything about the sight that would change my mind).

For spot-and-stalk elk hunting I have had shots at the 50 yd mark which seems to be where they started seeing a noticeable difference in many of the equipment choices. However, things like fall-away rests that add some complexity (moving parts, another string, springs, etc that can break) do not seem ideal for a bow that gets strapped to my pack and dragged through brush and tree branches while backpacking into the mountains.

And I just can't wrap my head around the single pin sights. For instance, this year I had a bull come into range at 50 yds and proceed to walk straight at me until he was about 20 yds away and then stop and stare at me. If I had set a single pin for 50 yds, it would have been nearly useless for me in my attempt to put an arrow into a tight spot at 20 yds. Things happen quickly in the elk woods and I don't like the idea of having to move a pin at the last second.

As far as the smaller pins, I think that for low-light situations the bigger pins still have the advantage. They were doing this testing at an indoor range (I assume) with good lighting, which is often not the case in hunting situations.

So, the only things I really take away from this article that I will implement on my next bow is the skinny grip and the longer stabilizer.

And I just can't wrap my head around the single pin sights. For instance, this year I had a bull come into range at 50 yds and proceed to walk straight at me until he was about 20 yds away and then stop and stare at me. If I had set a single pin for 50 yds, it would have been nearly useless for me in my attempt to put an arrow into a tight spot at 20 yds. Things happen quickly in the elk woods and I don't like the idea of having to move a pin at the last second.

I have both types of pins. I have a 4 pin sight on one bow and a single pin on another. The single pin is by no means useless. I don't ever move my pin from 30 yards when I hunting. I know that I need to shoot 3 inches low at 20 yards, 6 inches high at 40 yards and 12 inches high at 50 yards with my bow and the arrows I use. You can even tape that to your riser. For deer and elk that is really not hard to do. It's way harder to judge the distance and be able to use the rangefinder in the heat of the moment.

I do like the lack of clutter this way. I still shoot with both and probably would give up the 4 pin if I had to choose.

I adjust my single pin when target shooting at various distances out to about 80 yards in my backyard. It is loads of fun there. I do practice shooting 3D targets at different distances while keeping my pin at 30 yards. It's all part of the practice to get ready for hunting.

It would have been more interesting if they had used some less skilled archers for testing. Essentially three bow editors is going to skew the test, especially when many of the things they tested were intended to improve forgiveness; which is naturally going to be less of an issue the better archer you are.

Put some guys in the test trying to stretch their minute of pie plate range out past 30yds, and see if any of these things make a difference.

Pretty sure I remember seeing this article in the magazine a number of years ago. The way I see it is if you want a more accurate bow, look at what the pros are shooting. Longer ata, longer stabilizers, normally skinnier grips, and not a whisker bisquit lol. Sure, they wouldn't need all that for hunting but I'm not a pro and I want to control as much as I can. Also, I'm shooting a 3 pin slider and don't know how it's any less accurate than a 1 pin. It's all what you're used to/practice with

I thought the article was interesting although not too entirely surprising. For me, and probably a lot of guys, the first thing I can do to be a more accurate archer is practice, then practice a little more, and finally squeeze in a little more practice.

It would have been more interesting if they had used some less skilled archers for testing. Essentially three bow editors is going to skew the test, especially when many of the things they tested were intended to improve forgiveness; which is naturally going to be less of an issue the better archer you are.

Put some guys in the test trying to stretch their minute of pie plate range out past 30yds, and see if any of these things make a difference.

Absolutely agree. ATA and BH might only have been non-factors because their form is near perfect (and they are indoors, controlled environment, etc). "Minute of pie plate" lol

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back