Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

6.5x47 lapua

Layin_It_Down

Anybody shoot or load for this caliber? I'm considering this caliber or a .243 AI for deer hunting. Would like to hear some first hand experience with the lapua round. Thanks

Lots of the long range/tactical types like it. Think of it as a 260 Rem with a eurotrash name! ;) It'll do any deer in at any range you'l shoot 'em if you aim true. One quite respected guy from MT has stayed away from the X47 Lapua case as he's had trouble getting some of the small rifle primer rounds to fire correctly at some of the temps you get in MT, FWIW.

Been doing lots of research and it sounds like the creedmoor leaks at the primer when the loads get hot. A result of soft brass from hornady. I was thinking 260 AI, but I think I would have to seat the bullet in too far to fit my magazine. That's why I was thinking about the x47 lapua. A shorter case with better brass to seat the bullet out where it needs to be and develope loads where they should be. I've heard people pushing 130 grn bullets around 2950-3000 in the x47 lapua. That seems to be the sweet spot even with the 6.5x284 and 140s. This would be strickly a hunting rifle during October and November for deer so I'm not real concerned with temps. I do all my load development around 30-50 degrees.

On my way to visit with a gun builder now to hear his thoughts. I know he's a fan of the .243 AI. Not sure he's built a x47 lapua yet or not. Maybe he'll be up for something new.....

Fireform the 6.5 Creedmoor brass from 22-250 stuff. Brass problem solved...

You should check out John Barsness' article on the Creedmoor in Handloader(?) magazine

I've built a couple of rifles for F-Class Open shooters in 6.5mm-284 Norma. It's a nice accurate round--gives a small velocity improvement over the Creedmore.

I've shot a couple, a rem model 7 and a Sako, getting over 2800 fps with 140s and over 3000 with 130s and bloody accurate, I'm looking for an action to get a build done or may even convert my Husky 1640 just for shit and giggles.:hump:

Back