PEAX Equipment

50% Rump Roast from Safeway

44hunter45

I'm a sucker for the 50% off meat at Safeway to use when the freezer gets low on game meat. I cruise the "Manager's Special" bin whenever we do our grocery trips. It all gets vac sealed until it's needed, then I put it in the fridge to wet age.

We are down to just a few choice cuts of my last cow elk and some WT buck from a couple of years back. Also some deboned and diced turkey for Mrs45's turkey pot pies.

Even though it's 100°F here on the Palouse, I decided it was time to bring out a beef roast. Browned, then rubbed in my version of "Texas Steakhouse" dry rub. (You can Google it.)
I rub after browning, then rack the roast and wait for 125°-130°. Then rest it. We'll have some tonight and the rest will be my lunch meat for the week.

Two thermometers because I never trust just one.

IMG_2385[1].JPG

Looks good, but What's up with the 2 thermometers? Are either one of them working?
Way cheaper than a new oven with a temp probe. I had a near disaster last year from a failed thermometer, now I always use two.

Looking for a deli slicer now, but I'm not sure where to store it in her kitchen. First world problems.

Way cheaper than a new oven with a temp probe. I had a near disaster last year from a failed thermometer, now I always use two.

Looking for a deli slicer now, but I'm not sure where to store it in her kitchen. First world problems.
No, seriously, I didn't know if they were both broke, or the picture was taken before you started cooking. One temp looks too low (if the oven is on), the other looks too high if the oven is not on.

My mother-in-law makes the finest roasts I have ever tasted, and you definitely don't need a thermometer. She cooks them in those big old thick textured aluminum pans that grandma used to use.

1. Salt and pepper FROZEN roast (any tough meat will work)
2. Cook covered at 350 for 1.5 hours
3. Cook covered at 215 for 4 hours
4. Make the gravy, cause this is going to be a feast!

Last edited:
When it's green, it's wagyu. ; )
Funny you say that, Ken.

I blew $100 per diem on a "30 day dry aged Waygu" steak in a Waikiki hotel once. I ordered it blue rare. The waiter said "You're the man!"

It was absolutely amazing.

I barely got back to the room before I exploded from both ends.

I'd do it again if it had the right beer pairing.

Funny you say that, Ken.

I blew $100 per diem on a "30 day dry aged Waygu" steak in a Waikiki hotel once. I ordered it blue rare. The waiter said "You're the man!"

It was absolutely amazing.

I barely got back to the room before I exploded from both ends.

I'd do it again if it had the right beer pairing.
Hahaha that is awesome!! I love the courage and gusto for eating delicious meat. Lol

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back