MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

44 mag vs 10mm for grizzly

Yeah I’ve also heard high powered rifle/handgun bullets glance off the head of a bear but that’s really total bullshit
Never having shot at a grizzly, I wouldn't really know! I assume you have shot at one in the head!

Springfield XD and the new Sig 320 Xten feel way better in my opinion than the MPs. IF you dont like Glock. However if you decide the MP I would make sure to find the no safety model. To me the safety is right where my hands are in shooting and close enough that a pair of gloves or a quick reaction to grab it would switch the safety on.

I really like the M&P but I DONT like the no safety feature. My dad just got a HK with the safety AND decocking mechanism. I think it’s a really sharp piece.

Problem with the aim at the bear between the eye's if it's a grizzly. Your actuallyu aiming at the forehead and if you look close, the grizzly forehead is sloped pretty bad. Seem's I read in 'Alaska bear Tales" where a rifle shot there would tend to glance off, bet the bear would feel it though. haven't a clue what I would aim at if attacked. Would hope at some point it would stand up and maybe get a shot at the throat or head under the chin! Till it happens if it does, I haven't a clue what I would shoot at! probably the largest spot I could see and shoot till I'm MTY!

Here is one of those "Glancing" shots on a black bear noggin.

Compound bow, Muzzy broadhead, 4 yards. I wasn't there but I guess he hit the dirt faster than you could register it in your brain.

Attachments

• 20170913_080731.jpg
    20170913_080731.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 30
I’m currently part way into this same swap out. .44 to 10mm. I’d load the 10mm for the weight but I live in a strange place to get ammo(.44 is empty too) . More coming soon. I went with the Springfield over a Glock because of the 2nd safety, I feel like I’d be more likely to carry it chambered. Maybe.

My .44 is a five shot (new 10mm is 15) and I’m a Mary about carrying it hot, so in the back of my mind I’m always wondering if the 4 shots would even be worth it. It’s ported but still hurts my middle finger banging against trigger guard when I shoot it.

I’ve never been in a true scary bear encounter yet. I did have that .44 in my left hand while throwing rocks over a griz with my right hand trying to get him to stand up for my brother to shoot him with a bow. Intense stuff. In the end I chose to just not move after the shot instead of moving to right hand.

The whole thing seems silly in the big picture, but i do like the feel of a pistol laying close to me when I sleep at night in scary bear country. I know, I'm a Mary.

Attachments

• 1FA1E27A-D34D-4EE7-9FA1-5EBB51B3C3AB.jpeg
    1FA1E27A-D34D-4EE7-9FA1-5EBB51B3C3AB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • B46FC21D-D5C7-47B3-A0F7-E549CD07DBC3.jpeg
    B46FC21D-D5C7-47B3-A0F7-E549CD07DBC3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Here is one of those "Glancing" shots on a black bear noggin.

Compound bow, Muzzy broadhead, 4 yards. I wasn't there but I guess he hit the dirt faster than you could register it in your brain.
Black bear and right on top. Wouldn't surprise me if it glanced off. We were talkng about a grizzly skull which is shaped a bit different. Accoding to "Alaska Bear Tales" A 20ga slug will bounce off a grizzly skull. Best a 12ga slug did was crack the skull. True or not? How would I know! But I do know what I read and makes me think your best shot if attacked by a grizzly is to fill it's snout with bear spray! Either that or a 200gr 30 cal bullet in the end of the nose, hard shot on one moving, or just under the neck and hope for the back bone! We are talking about something here that quite possible no one on here has been through so this is all opinion based on either reading or thinking, not experience. And one time experience count's but then, it was reported Fred Bear stopped a cape buffalo charge with his bow from the back of a vehicle. I would much rather hit the gas than try that! Woman in Anchorage a few years ago stopped a grizzly with a 9mm. Don't know about you but the only way I'd try that is if I had a 9mm with me and no bear spray!

Last edited:
They are not bullet-proof mythical beasts. A 9mm FMJ to the skull will end shit instantly, without a doubt. But go ahead and carry a 5lb powerful handgun you're unable to shoot worth a shit, if you're that dumb and afraid.
How many charging grizzly's have you stopped with the 9mm?

Feel free to be dumber than shit - it's your right. I've hunted rifle season with hunters who carry a chambered high-powered rifle, a locked and loaded handgun, and pepper spray. :)

Feel free to be dumber than shit - it's your right. I've hunted rifle season with hunters who carry a chambered high-powered rifle, a locked and loaded handgun, and pepper spray. :)
Thank you I will. Lived in Alaska for a little over a year in a small fairly remote cabin. Bear spray wasn't to be found so when I felt I needed it I carried a 308 with hot 200gr handloads. That whole time I never saw the first grizzly. Of course as close as I got to the interior was Prudheo Bay! Made three trips up there and saw a lot of caribou and grouse! Didn't get out and walk a lot but you can see a long long way out on the tundra! You've hunted with rifle season hunter's who carry a chambered high-powerd rifle, a locked and loaded handgun and pepper spray. So how many grizzly charge's did they proform for you? You must be an authority!

Thank you I will. Lived in Alaska for a little over a year in a small fairly remote cabin. Bear spray wasn't to be found so when I felt I needed it I carried a 308 with hot 200gr handloads. That whole time I never saw the first grizzly. Of course as close as I got to the interior was Prudheo Bay! Made three trips up there and saw a lot of caribou and grouse! Didn't get out and walk a lot but you can see a long long way out on the tundra! You've hunted with rifle season hunter's who carry a chambered high-powerd rifle, a locked and loaded handgun and pepper spray. So how many grizzly charge's did they proform for you? You must be an authority!
So you've never even seen a grizzly in the wild AND you can't tell that I'm making fun of some of the paranoid and stupid people I've hunted with.

So you've never even seen a grizzly in the wild AND you can't tell that I'm making fun of some of the paranoid and stupid people I've hunted with.
Right! What's that have to do with the paranoid and stupid people you hunted with? Call it a tie, I'm getting tired!

Get yerself a 454 casull and some 500 grain tungsten bullets. Best choice. For your safety.

Or maybe a Dillon Arro M134D.. can't be too careful.

This is a terrible recommendation. A .308 is nowhere near enough gun for a grizzly, everyone knows that.

I’d recommend making a pistol out of a sawed off .577 nitro express double rifle.
Beg your pardon
308 win is one of my most popular guns in Alaska. Within its range limitations and the correct bullet design is very capable of taken Grizzly. I often carry a 308 Win when the range is not excessive. 180 grain Nosler Part a long time favorite and 44.0 of Varget.

Beg your pardon
308 win is one of my most popular guns in Alaska. Within its range limitations and the correct bullet design is very capable of taken Grizzly. I often carry a 308 Win when the range is not excessive. 180 grain Nosler Part a long time favorite and 44.0 of Varget.
Sarcasm… I’d happily shoot a griz with my .308.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back