400G vs. Non-Insulated Boots.

I have a need for a pair of Kenetrek's and am torn between 400G or Non-Insulated so I am hoping some with experience can share their thoughts. I am trying to figure out if I really need the 400G insulation or if the non-insulated option is sufficient. I handle cold conditions fairly well, will be hunting mostly on the Olympic Peninsula and the east slope of the Cascades, and maybe in Montana in the next couple years. Pheasant hunting is also in the mix.

I guess the short version of the question here is: Are 400G insulated boots too warm? How are they should I end up in warmer conditions?

Additionally, are the Non-insulated roomie enough for layering socks if I order in my true size or should I order a half size up? (I noted one reply on this to my post already, curious what others think)

Thanks

Last edited:
I also had the same decision to make a couple months ago. I went with the NI and got 1/2 size larger boot.Then I can wear 2 sock system with heavier socks in colder weather. So far has worked out very well.

I have the 400's. They are too hot 90% of the time. I want an un-insulated pair now as well.

I have always used uninsulated boots and gotten along well. The only time I weat insulated is on deer stands here in the east if I plan on sitting all day in the cold.

A buddy of mine that always got cold feet said that you have to condition your feet to not need heat. He advicated wearing thin socks and the lightest pair of dress or work shoes you could afford. That way your feet weren't used to being hot all the time in a normal day. Thus when you were hunting your feet didn't feel like they were numb as soon as you sat still for 15 minutes. It sounded crazy but it worked for me.

You need to estimate which season or when they'll generally be worn in the most. My feet don't sweat much so I can wear a 400 gram in the earlier fall but I don't like it. I only go to 400's when it gets below 30 and not much snow. Then I go to Pac boots. Overall, I I wear NI way more than anything else though.

I have always used uninsulated boots and gotten along well. The only time I weat insulated is on deer stands here in the east if I plan on sitting all day in the cold.

A buddy of mine that always got cold feet said that you have to condition your feet to not need heat. He advicated wearing thin socks and the lightest pair of dress or work shoes you could afford. That way your feet weren't used to being hot all the time in a normal day. Thus when you were hunting your feet didn't feel like they were numb as soon as you sat still for 15 minutes. It sounded crazy but it worked for me.

I think there is a lot of truth in that. I am a corporate pilot, and in our "uniform" such as it is, I wear black loafers. In the cockpit at 40,000 feet, even in a modern jet like we have with very good cabin environmental control, my feet still get really cold. As result, when I am on the ground in more substantial shoes, even gym shoes, or hiking shoes (low top Kenetreks or Merrell's) my feet are fine.

Thank you for that explanation. It allowed me to considered what environment my feet are in and will give me some food for thought going forward in this decision. I also hunt white tails in Georgia and find my feet getting cold sitting in the stand as well, but that will not be the case in the Olympics or Cascades to be sure as I won't be sitting still for very long.

This counts for a "tick in the "Layering with Non-Insulated Boots" column.

You need to estimate which season or when they'll generally be worn in the most. My feet don't sweat much so I can wear a 400 gram in the earlier fall but I don't like it. I only go to 400's when it gets below 30 and not much snow. Then I go to Pac boots. Overall, I I wear NI way more than anything else though.

Good point. I mentioned where, but I failed to mention when.

I will be hunting the Washington Modern Firearm Elk Season initially (tentatively Mid-Late October thru Late November 2016, although the dates aren't out yet). 2017/2018 I will hopefully be ready for an archery season.

Unless you're hunting in weather 20 degrees or less all day, I'd recommend uninsulated. Although it also depends on how much hiking you're doing versus sitting. If you're going to hike somewhere and then mostly sit all day, you probably want to go with 400 even if it isn't super cold out. I've got a pair of the Kenetrek's in 400 grams and they work well in November when it's 10 degrees out. Besides that, I wear my uninsulated ones in September and October.

So how do you like the corporate flying? I was in the regionals for 8 years.

Unless you're hunting in weather 20 degrees or less all day, I'd recommend uninsulated. Although it also depends on how much hiking you're doing versus sitting. If you're going to hike somewhere and then mostly sit all day, you probably want to go with 400 even if it isn't super cold out. I've got a pair of the Kenetrek's in 400 grams and they work well in November when it's 10 degrees out. Besides that, I wear my uninsulated ones in September and October.

So how do you like the corporate flying? I was in the regionals for 8 years.

Thanks! That's good info and puts another tick in the NI box.

I love the corporate thing. I've been in it for about 8 years, and in the middle somewhere I went and tried the regional thing back home in Washington. I was there 9 months when the boss asked me to come back to Florida again and fly for him...he made it worth my while, so back to corporate I went. Not looking back! Won't find a job this good again, so when the time comes that this job goes away I better have something else figured out!

I own a pair of 400gr Kenetreks, and for my feet, they are way to warm for archery season, that said everyone's feet are different. However, I do love them when there is snow on the ground during rifle season.

I wear a waterproof light hiking boot (Salomon Quest 4d GTX) right up until I switch to my 400s. It works great for me.

All that said if you want one boot for all, get the non-insulated.

I go with NI for my elk hunting boots. You're moving alot or at least have the opportunity to move around a bit if you're glassing to warm back up. My hunting partners got insulated and their feet sweat. Then the insulation gets damp and stays that way for the whole hunt (if your backpacking and have no good way to dry them out).

I go with NI for my elk hunting boots. You're moving alot or at least have the opportunity to move around a bit if you're glassing to warm back up. My hunting partners got insulated and their feet sweat. Then the insulation gets damp and stays that way for the whole hunt (if your backpacking and have no good way to dry them out).

Good point. It is way easier to change socks, than dry out boots.

I've owned two pairs of the UI Mtn. Extremes. No problems with cold feet in all temps in MT. I like my boots loose and wear thick socks even in the early season.

I almost always carry a dry pair of wool socks in my pack and change them out after a hard hike or at midday. It's amazing how a fresh set of dry socks keeps your feet feeling good and warm when it's cold out.

Having said that, I'm pretty active the way I hunt. Lots of walking, don't usually sit in one place more than an hour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back