Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

37/37A Muzzy hunt ?

Muley Crazy

I ended up drawing the late muzzy hunt in 37/37A for deer. I have yet to set foot in the unit but will be headed up this month to take a look around. I have talked a little with the Regional Fish and game manager about the unit and he stated its not a real productive hunt. If anyone one has had the chance to hunt the area I would love to hear your opinion about the deer in the area. the Hunt runs form Nov 25th to Dec 9th. With a little weather I'm hoping if could be a fun. I hear there are some soker whitetails in the area also ! Thanks MC

I spent a weekend in 37 last summer helping a friend scout an elk hunt. Its some rugged, gnarly country all the way around. We saw lots of elk and pronghorn, I truthfully don't remember seeing a single deer however. I do know someone who pulled a 170 muley out of there a couple years back from way in the high country of the unit. With those late dates there should be snow on the ground and move deer down lower. The river bottoms hold some good elk and deer I'm sure, but they are locked up really tight. I would assume that is where any big whitetails are located.

Last edited:
There are a few parcels of "Access Yes" lands in the unit.

Most of the river bottom is locked up and private. However, with a late muzzy tag it may be productive to make some calls and knock on some doors.

The Pancheri family owns most of the river from Howe to Goldberg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back