35 Whelen

I second the 35 whelen. Have one in a rem 7600 pump and it is an absolute hammer of a cartridge. I found success with a 225 grain Sierra or nosler partition up front.
Have used this same set up as a back rifle in Oz when we bow hunt buffalo. Great cartridge choice - it whacks the big critters real hard.

I recently installed an E.R. Shaw .35 Whelen barrel (plus their machined "accuracy" recoil lug) on a Savage 111 XTP originally in .30-06. I already had a barrel vise, which came in handy, but the whole process probably only took about 45 minutes with the hardest part being just breaking the original Savage barrel lock nut loose. Went through the barrel break-in with light loads as per Shaw's website and then started working up some loads. I was pleasantly surprised by both the velocity (went from 22 to 24 inch tube) as well as the accuracy. Three-shot groups at 100 yards measured center to center: Federal Premium 225-grain TBBC factory ammo went 5/8 inch, and for reloads Speer 250-grain HotCors were just inside MOA and Sierra 225-grain GameKings made a single cloverleaf I could cover with a dime. I'm very happy with the way things are progressing and really looking forward to hunting with the .35 Whelen this fall. View attachment 20190607_14.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back