PEAX Equipment

35 Whelen 180 TTSX

MNHunter67

Bob Wards in Missoula had some 180 grain Barnes tipped TSX in stock so I bought four boxes. I’d rather shoot the 200 grains, but until I can get started reloading, I’ve gotta make do with what I can buy.

Anyone shot these out of a Whelen? I’ve got a 22 inch barreled Remington 700 that I’m planning to hunt bear and elk with. (Topped with a vx3i currently)

I’m sure they’ll perform well if I put it in the right place, I was just hoping to find some 200 grains for a bit better BC.

To be honest, I’d like to shoot something heavier out of this gun. I can shoot 180s out of my 30.06 and my 300wm. I bought a 35 Whelen to put a largerexit wound in bears and elk.(and because I think it’s a cool round) I’d much rather shoot 200-225 grain loads if I could find them. So if anyone else has some good rounds they like, I’m all ears.

Everything should drop down lighter with the mono, 180’s could shoot OK in the 35 in a pinch if you can’t find 200’s. the 06, drop it to 168 over the 180. The Whelen is not the greatest match with the fundamental benefits of mono bullets and it just takes some of the historic fun out if it IMO. Both overkill from a copper weight/obvious passthrough scenario to lower speed which may possibly not always take full advantage of copper expansion depending on bullet choice and range. The 35 just becomes sort of…. unnecessary. I am conflicted with my own, and have not yet bought any mono’s for it, preferring to stick with trad. cup and core.

Bob Wards in Missoula had some 180 grain Barnes tipped TSX in stock so I bought four boxes. I’d rather shoot the 200 grains, but until I can get started reloading, I’ve gotta make do with what I can buy.

Anyone shot these out of a Whelen? I’ve got a 22 inch barreled Remington 700 that I’m planning to hunt bear and elk with. (Topped with a vx3i currently)

I’m sure they’ll perform well if I put it in the right place, I was just hoping to find some 200 grains for a bit better BC.

To be honest, I’d like to shoot something heavier out of this gun. I can shoot 180s out of my 30.06 and my 300wm. I bought a 35 Whelen to put a largerexit wound in bears and elk.(and because I think it’s a cool round) I’d much rather shoot 200-225 grain loads if I could find them. So if anyone else has some good rounds they like, I’m all ears.
MNHunter,

I have trialed the Barnes 180 gr. tTSX loads against my 200 gr. Hand loads. There is not a lot of difference between the two. The 180 gr. Will shoot faster, but it also sheds speed faster due to the lower BC of a flat base design. The 200 gr. Starts a little slower but keeps a little more speed long range.

I haven’t used the 180 on game, but with similar performance of the bullet itself, I expect the results to be equally devastating.

The factory M700 twist for a 35 Whelen was 1-16. You may have to measure yours. This is pretty slow to me. Mine is built on a Mauser 98 and I have it out being re-barrelled at 1-12.
When I get it back, it will only get Hammer Bullets for hunting.

All that to say that a factory built M700 should stabilize a 180 grains pretty well. Even the longer monolithics.

You didn't say where you wanted to hunt bear and elk, but there is a lot of thick in Northern Idaho and NW Montana where that rifle will be a great solution.

Certainly for anything west of Highway 93 its a great combo. I would grab that rifle if I were heading into those dog hair timber stands in the 'root.

Even the fabulous Sierra 225 BT is actually pretty stubby. Most Whelens handle those well. The 180 and 200 Speer flat points punch above their weight out of the Whelen as well.
I shoot 180s out of my 30-06, too. But that .050" bigger entrance hole out of the Whelen makes a positive difference inside of 200.

Whatever bullet you choose, you need to know what velocities it is designed for, and at what range your loads go below the minimum. I assume the TTSX work at 1800 fps, but I would want to read that from Barnes. The range your loads drop below 1800 fps is the farthest you can expect expansion to occur. That's not the bible. but those are reasonable guidelines.

When you start handloading...

IMHO - The best all copper bullets in the world are Hammers. They are made in Stevensville. Look up Hammer Bullets online and give Steve a call.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back