Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

338 Federal

OldSnort

Is anyone shooting a 338 Federal? I would be interested in hearing your opinions.

Given the choice of a 7RM, a 30/06, or the 338 Fed....I wouldn't even blink twice before snatching up the Fed. 160's right up there with the 7RM, 200's clocking along right with the 30/06 180's. Bigger bore ta' boot. Did I mention less recoil too??

Great caliber!BC12F0DF-5DCA-4A54-A13D-CAA72D608EBC.jpeg11A32B68-B75C-45E8-B0C0-8B3AD332E8E7.jpeg Had a bergara b14 308 rebored into 338fed. It’s a shooter with 200gr Trophy Bonded Tips. Wasn’t able to get it on animals last year, but groups are right at 1MOA, maybe a bit larger due to the shooter, but is just as accurate as the 308 and 7mm-08 it lives next to. Recoil is right about that of the 308 with 165s. All factory ammo so far. Not that I’d feel undergunned with the 308 or 7-08 for elk, but the 338 fed give me extra confidence within my ~350yrd max shooting range. That’s just my comfort level and hunting style.

If you want one, do it, and let me know if you can find factory ammo! Haha

Great caliber!View attachment 190108View attachment 190109 Had a bergara b14 308 rebored into 338fed. It’s a shooter with 200gr Trophy Bonded Tips. Wasn’t able to get it on animals last year, but groups are right at 1MOA, maybe a bit larger due to the shooter, but is just as accurate as the 308 and 7mm-08 it lives next to. Recoil is right about that of the 308 with 165s. All factory ammo so far. Not that I’d feel undergunned with the 308 or 7-08 for elk, but the 338 fed give me extra confidence within my ~350yrd max shooting range. That’s just my comfort level and hunting style.

If you want one, do it, and let me know if you can find factory ammo! Haha

Who did you send this to to get it rebored?

Sent it to Jesse at http://www.35caliber.com/. Call him up, he did great work for me. About $250 and 14day turn around. It wasn’t a new barrel, it’s the factory Bergara barrel rebored out to 338Fed.

I like to believe it’s the first of its kind ;)
I’m very interested. I’m going to call him this week. I want a 338Fed but have had an extremely difficult time finding one I like. What’s the process like.. You send him the whole gun or just the barrel? If its the whole gun, do you have to send it through a FFL?

I sent the whole gun standard shipping. He is an FFL and able to send/receive. I had the same questions you did. Give him a call and he’ll answer all of your questions. I sent and received everything by tracking package and required a signature so it wasn’t sitting on the door stoop. I’m sure you can have it sent to/from an FFL for a small fee for added insurance, which I too considered. Very simple process albeit nerve racking mailing a rifle. You can also send just the barrel or barreled action.
I would have Jesse work his job before you do any cosmetic work (cerakote). The machining process left a little ding in my cerakote and the stamping, but that’s my blunder in not thinking the process through at first.

Jesse is usually working and you’ll likely have to leave a message. He’s quick to respond.

It's a 308 parent case necked up to take a 338 bullet. For typical hunting ranges I think it's the ideal hunting caliber.

Back in 2018, CDNN was unloading some of Savage's short-lived "DOA Hunter" variants of their Model 110 for $400, scope included. After a disappointing blood trail from a .308 on a bear (shot in the heart no less), I decided I wanted something more powerful. Caliber selection was sparse, but they had the .338 Federal and the .300 WSM. I went back and forth, but I think I was most swayed by the 4-round capacity in the .338 Federal vs. 2 in the .300 WSM. Also, .300 WSM ammo cost about twice as much as .338 Federal.

I have since taken three bears with .338 Federal. In my opinion, it is the finest black bear cartridge ever made. It blows my mind that it isn't more popular. I have since bought a second rifle, this one in stainless.

People belittle the small 0.038" difference in diameter while forgetting to mention the 500 ft-lb advantage over the .308. It is more powerful than the .30-'06 and most 7mm rem mag loads (at the muzzle, anyway) and fits in a short action. I'd use it on anything not in Africa within 350 yards.

Great thread, I keep debating my next rifle for similar reasons discussed. I love my 7mm08, my kids use an inherited 243, so I just like the idea of staying in the 308 family for a bigger bore. I keep talking myself out of it and going back to thinking I'll get a 300 Win Mag. But then I come across something like this thread and I'm right back to salivating over this 338 Federal which just seems so uniquely perfect.

I’m very interested. I’m going to call him this week. I want a 338Fed but have had an extremely difficult time finding one I like. What’s the process like.. You send him the whole gun or just the barrel? If its the whole gun, do you have to send it through a FFL?
I''ve done a good amount of business with Jesse, he's all things "good" ......

Great thread, I keep debating my next rifle for similar reasons discussed. I love my 7mm08, my kids use an inherited 243, so I just like the idea of staying in the 308 family for a bigger bore. I keep talking myself out of it and going back to thinking I'll get a 300 Win Mag. But then I come across something like this thread and I'm right back to salivating over this 338 Federal which just seems so uniquely perfect.
"Uniquely perfect". Well said. I can think of no cartridge I'd rather use on black bear.

I also completely agree about staying in the .308 family, even though I don't reload. I've got a .243, .308, and .338 Federal. See no reason to go to the big stuff, especially out east.

The 338fed is an interesting one, but it really doesn't excel at any one thing. Its no more useful than a 308, IMO. If you can tell the killing power difference between the two in the field, you'd be the only one. Its not a "heavy" rifle, but I'm sure would work to hunt brown bears. I surely wouldn't chose it over a 300wm, 338wm or 375 et al if I wanted/needed a big rifle. I killed a brownie with a 308. :rolleyes: It wouldn't be my first choice on a deer or elk hunt in the west, but would would probably work for 90% of situations I'm sure. IMO it didn't' take off because it really doesn't do anything better than a dozen other cartriges that it compares itself to. And frankly just wasn't unique enough to sell. A 338wsm I could get behind and what the 325 should have been. But then again you'd have recoil, which comes with powerful rifles, can't pretend to have one and not the other.

I've considered building one on a kimber or something similar, but just can't really justify the niche that it really doesn't' fill or do any better than 10 other cartridges. If I was going to build a super lite it would be a 358win.

I’ve always felt that the 338 federal would really shine in a BAR or BLR.

The 338fed is an interesting one, but it really doesn't excel at any one thing. Its no more useful than a 308, IMO. If you can tell the killing power difference between the two in the field, you'd be the only one. Its not a "heavy" rifle, but I'm sure would work to hunt brown bears. I surely wouldn't chose it over a 300wm, 338wm or 375 et al if I wanted/needed a big rifle. I killed a brownie with a 308. :rolleyes: It wouldn't be my first choice on a deer or elk hunt in the west, but would would probably work for 90% of situations I'm sure. IMO it didn't' take off because it really doesn't do anything better than a dozen other cartriges that it compares itself to. And frankly just wasn't unique enough to sell. A 338wsm I could get behind and what the 325 should have been. But then again you'd have recoil, which comes with powerful rifles, can't pretend to have one and not the other.

I've considered building one on a kimber or something similar, but just can't really justify the niche that it really doesn't' fill or do any better than 10 other cartridges. If I was going to build a super lite it would be a 358win.
Couldn't disagree more. While I can't say I can tell the "killing power difference" between the .338 and the .308, I sure as heck CAN tell the bleeding power difference. Blood trails was my main motivation for the switch, and after a few successful seasons, I am convinced that I made the right choice.

The very reason to choose the .338 Federal over the 300WM or 338WM or 375 is exactly what you said - recoil. If I didn't care about recoil, I'd probably buy a .338 Win Mag and be done with it all.

As to "cartridges that it compares itself to", the .338 Federal has softer recoil than all but the .308. It is more powerful than some, like the .30-'06 and 7mm, shoots flatter than the .358 win with more energy at all ranges. Obviously if it doesn't hit your "sweet spot" of needs (ex. long range), then you'll want something else.

The reason I love it is that it DOES hit that sweet spot for black bear at short to moderate ranges. In my opinion, it is THE BEST cartridge for this specific purpose, so yes, it DOES excel at one thing in particular. I'm not at all surprised to read a western hunter who is not particularly thrilled with .338 Fed. If I lived out west, it probably wouldn't be my first choice either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back