330 tag

Stick with it redwood, you certainly have the right attitude for success. The harder you work the more memorable it will be.

Had to call it yet again. Buddy and I attempted to get in yesterday. All was going well until about half way up. The snow went from 6" to 24" plus in a hurry. Stubbornness got us up quit a ways but the last mile took almost 4 hrs. Some places the snow was waist high, some drifts almost chest. We literally crawled in portions. Snow shoes helped in some spots but were a hassle in most. The 20% chance of snow hit hard, couldn't see much past fifty yards at times. We dug in, made snow burrows and tried to ride it out. It was probably the worst night I've ever had. Got up this morning to asses the situation and after much debate we determined it just not safe to continue and came down. Our trail was completely blown in so we had to break a whole new one. Hardest hike I've ever done, physically and mentally. Unfortunetly I think this means I'm eating this tag, we'll see but I'm afraid that's the case. Pretty down in the dumps right now.

Redwood, I feel your pain!!!! I left out wednesday and after being in the backcountry with the whiteouts and the ridiculous amounts of snow in the highcountry made it almost inaccessible to hunt. Mentally and physically the most extreme hunt one can endure. Snowdrifts honestly sucked up there!! It is definitely a hard pill to swallow after waiting and praying to finally one day draw that coveted tag and end up not punching it.....and we all know it's not going to get any better up there! :-( we can't control the weather, wish I had of not been so set on prime hair and gone earlier in the season........

Hang in there guys. In 2008 I battled 3 feet of snow in early october and surprisingly a lot of it burned off. I shot a Billy on oct 23rd. The north Faces were still loaded with snow but the south faces and ridges were good to go all the way to the top. Many of the goats actually crossed the creek bottom and headed for the exposed slopes. I hope the rest of the season brings better weather for you in the high country.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back