316 Goat

fowl_minded

I wanted to get some thoughts on applying for this tag. I am going to be doing the unlimited sheep hunt in this area this year and have read a couple threads on the goat tag. I have 12 bonus points for goats and I have been applying for the Bridgers (good luck on that one):hump: and The Absarokas, both of those districts are awesome for goats and have some great potential and access. Cooke City has some great access as well and good goats but the elements can be a huge factor too ( i guess they can anywhere when your hunting at 10000 plus feet). I have talked to one other hunter about the sheep hunting in there and he has had that goat tag before. He told me that the park line can be your worst enemy at times because of goats coming in and out of the park. Anymore thoughts one that? A Mountain Goat tag to me is the tag I have dreamed of having since I was 12 years old (even over a sheep) I know call me crazy! I think that they are an amazing animal and like I say it has always been a dream of mine it harvest a big ol hairy billy! Im not saying that Im going to get one but, I guess if Im going to do the sheep deal why not put in for the area? You never know what can happen in the draw. Just wanting to get some feedback on this unit.
Thanks

Picking a favorite between mountain goat and bighorn sheep is the Devil's play. Let me hunt in the mountains as the aspens are turning yellow and I am not going to complain whether is sheep, goat, elk or deer. Good luck on the unlimited adventure!

I would check with the biologist from year to year with mountain goats. It seems like some of the herds have been suffering from die offs much like bighorns have. I've heard that the goats that lived on the route to climb Granite Peak have all but disappeared. It pays to do some research before you burn that many points. Good luck on your sheep hunt. Jack Jr's talk in Helena last weekend was a good one.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back