Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
About an hour goes by and I get that sinking feeling.

Another day in the whitetail woods with no sightings, in my head I'm already planning out tomorrow.

I find I kinda embody Rinella's quote about being a pessimist with the boots of an optimist. Sure, I'm going to stick it out till sundown... but I'm not going to pretend like I'm getting anything.

About the time that ^ this thought is rolling through my head I hear a shot.

BLAUKŠ 1

Then shortly after a second.

BLAUKŠ

At this point I have some mixed emotions. On the one hand maybe some deer while come my way... on the other maybe that was "the deer".

1. Not a great onomatopoeia for a rifle IMHO, spot on for a shotgun at 150 yards.

Buck steps out at about 20 yards.

I raise my gun and shoot... then shoot again.

Miraculously the buck stops, looks at me, takes a couple of steps to the left, completely broadside & clearing all of the brush.

I check myself, re-seat my shotgun on my shoulder, actually aim 🤦‍♂️ and hit him solidly behind the shoulder. He bucks, runs about 20 yards and goes down.

I sit there for about 30 seconds in stunned silence.

Blind luck... sometimes it just happens.

Anyway I walk over to the buck and as I do I hear,

"Did you get'em"

"Yep, thanks!"

So clearly I'm not in CO anymore... or maybe this happens in the west, just never to me.

But the hunter walks over and says hi, sets down his stuff and gives me the sense that we are doing this together lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
and here's the next embarrassing part.

I don't gut animals, all gutless method...honestly it's been 4 years, maybe more, I can't remember the last time I gutted an animal. Total I've done a couple mule deer, and a pronghorn...

So anyway Danny is holding the leg for me and I'm cutting and he says, "not sure how you boys out west do it... but you going to cut out the anus..."

maybe I do need the butt out tool?

Anyway... appreciated the delicate reminder without the mocking I deserve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice buck, congrats. I encountered some beach deer down here while on a fishing trip in October. Technically bow season but not legal in that spot. As far as laws go, its definitely interesting to hear about the NE vs the SE. Seems up there yall have a lot of things actually encoded as being illegal (quartering in the field) while down here the law just doesn't address it since nobody really practices it historically (though that is changing).

I killed a buck at 230 Saturday about .75 miles from the car and another hunter walked by when I was cutting it up. He was the first guy I've talked to that a) knew it was legal and b) had done it himself. Although he did say that from where I was "it sure is a long way to the gate".

Congrats again, nice buck.

Edit: also, we are WAY past check stations. Punch the tag, register the deer online or by phone, done.

The judges have awarded you the following:

An anthology of Wallace Stegner's poems to help you work on the excellent sparse narration to make it 37% more colorful.

16 butt out tools because you said it, so we're reinforcing it.

23 guys telling you they go to Harvard w/o actually telling you they go to Harvard

And a cool experience with people you've never met before, and a hunting culture that's obviously different than the west.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back