Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

.308 ammo question

chuckyd313

I have recently aquired some .308 ammo they are FMJ so i cant use them for hunting. Id like to use them for target shooting. The bottom is stamped FNM 82-27 and i looked them up on the internet and its saying they are Portugese and came out mid 80's. Its also saying they are NATO rounds. My question is are they safe to shoot in my Mossberg Trek and my Browning X Bolt? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

FNM 82-27. Free National Movement, man. 1982, lot #27. It's good stuff, Samco imported the hell out of it. Semi autos love it, some lots have more duds then others. Have a berdan primer. Go shoot it.

I was curious because i was told .223 can be shot in 5.56 but 5.56 can not be shot in .223. Something to do with the back pressure.

Although not identical, the 7.62×51mm NATO and the commercial .308 Winchester cartridges are similar enough that they can be loaded into rifles chambered for the other round, but .308 cartridges are typically loaded to higher pressures than 7.62x51mm cartridges for use in long-distance hunting of big-game animals. Even though the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI) does not consider it unsafe to fire the commercial round in weapons chambered for the NATO round, there is significant discussion[3][4][5] about compatible chamber and muzzle pressures between the two cartridges based on powder loads and wall thicknesses on the military vs. commercial rounds. While the debate goes both ways, the ATF recommends checking the stamping on the barrel; if you're unsure, consult the maker of the firearm.[6][7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62×51mm_NATO

"Interchangeable but consider our ass covered for saying so if it blows up

yours truly,

Heywood Yusume

Last edited:
Be carefull, some mil-surp ammo can be corrosive or mildly corrosive. I bought some 7.62X39 a few years ago from a big outfit and it was advertised as non-corrosive. I shot the gun and a couple weeks later looked over at it leaning against the wall and noticed a reddish color on the end of the barrel..... pit city

Last edited:
chuckyd313 your comment " I was curious because i was told .223 can be shot in 5.56 but 5.56 can not be shot in .223. Something to do with the back pressure." is correct (also the cartridge length is slightly different). As for the 7.62x51, I'm no expert; but I did have a rifle instructor from Ft. Stewart tell me it is the same as .308, only that the 7.62x51 ammo isn't available in hunting configurations. He also mentioned the corrosive potential of some NATO rounds manufactured overseas. I decided I'd rather not take a chance so I'm sticking with ammo that is labeled .308 and made in the US (btw, both of my .308 rifles prefer Winchester SuperX 150 grain power points or fail safes).

I know we are comparing bolt action to lever action, but I cannot shoot NATO rounds through my Browning BLR 308. Out of 20 rounds, only 8 rounds was I able to get the lever fully closed. FWIW

GSP4EVER, could there also be a slight difference in the cartridge length with them, as well?

I haven't tried to shoot any of the 7.62x51 ammo in either of my .308 rifles, but I do have some of the 5.56 for my Bushmaster M4 which indicates on the barrel that it will accept both the .223 and the 5.56 rounds. On the other hand my Mini-14 states .223, so I haven't tried any of the 5.56 ammo, and don't intend to, in it.

rhomas, im not sure but there possibly could be.

His- I handload too. I may have to look into this die set. Im curious though, the description stated to not be used in bolt actions. Which is fine, I don't mind keeping ammo separated for a specific rifle. But why? I know it said something about setting the shoulders back a little. IT may also explain why some of my loads wont allow me to fully close the lever either.

Sorry to the OP for getting close to the hijacked point.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back