.300 Win Mag

I've shot a Ruger M77 in 7mm Rem Mag since 1992 and would be content to stick with it for life but I got a good deal on an UltraLight Arms 300 Win Mag. Feels like I'm carrying a .22 but it kicks like a mule. I don't mind because after the torture test at the range I don't think about the kick when I've got big game in the scope. The kick is minimal and sound of the shot doesn't ring my ears when shooting at game.

Can the old man pitch in a comment? There are two basic components to recoil. Weight and velocity. Felt recoil factors in the weight of the rifle and the weight of the powder charge. The factor that affects most people the greatest is recoil velocity. If you note the table that was posted earlier, you will note that, for equivalent bullet weights, the firearm listed was heavier, the recoil velocity was faster and the recoil energy is greater. Felt recoil should increase geometrically as a factor of energy times velocity squared. Oh, if it were true that one caliber will do everything another caliber will do, there would be no need for 50 cal and 338 Lapua sniper rigs. Most snipers would shoot 308 rather than 338 Lapua.

The 300 kicks like crazy in my experience unless you use a brake. My research indicates a brake will cut down recoil by as much as 50%. We'll see when the one I just ordered arrives and I get to test it. Something that I see in comments about using a brake disturbs me, ie, the noise complaints. Whether shooting any gun, on the hunt, or at the range, you should be using hearing protection. When I was younger and dumber I didn't use ear pro at all. Sure wish I had, tinnitus 100% of the time is not good. There are lots of great options out there for it, so there's really no excuse for not using ear pro. It's just a matter of common sense. Just for reference, any long or repeated sound over 85 db can generate hearing loss.

Back