MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

300 Win mag, 180 Nosler, your best loads?

For 180 gr. Nosler Partitions, my MAX load is 73 grains of IMR 4350, W-W case, Remington 9 1/2M primer. Average velocity readings on the Oehler are 3,091 fps, 3 shot group size average (10 groups)of 1.28" at 100 yards in my Ruger Model 77 Mk II.

This load is rather warm. Proceed with caution. My rifle shoots Grand Slams about 20 fps faster with one less grain of 4350, and groups tighter also.

[This message has been edited by Nodak Hunter (edited 01-20-2001).]

I must be getting old. I would swear that we just did this. I have two loads for this combination that work. The first load uses 75.5 grains of RL 22, RP cases and Winchester LRMag primers. The other load uses 75.5 grains of H450, CCI lrm primer in WW brass. You sure we didn't just do this? I must be getting old.
cool.gif

------------------
Dan AZ www.huntandlodge.com

No danr55, your still O.K.! We did it under my other post about the K. Kahle scope. I see what you mean about that scope. ( I looked up the price!!!) I zeroed it with 5 shots! It is clear and even with my sh-tty eyes, I can see the bull about 20" after offical sunset. email me about the Kahles 8x40 glasses.
Be safe, have fun!
deadeye2

Gentlemen, what are the chances of the loads that you used for the 180 gr partitions would also work with 180 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws.

Wow! Thanks deadeye2. You had me wondering there for a minute. Anyway......Zoo I would back the loads off about 1 1/2 to 2 grains and try them. The type of brass that you use and the type of primer will effect the end result. That is especially true if you are using Federal brass or WinLRMag primers where they are not specified. Depending on your specific rifles chamber and the brass, you may find the H-450 load over max. Approach the listed load with caution. What type of rifle are you shooting them in?
cool.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by danr55 (edited 01-22-2001).]

The load I have worked up for the 300 is 72 grains of IMR 4831 CCI 250 magnum primer, and I prefer the 180 grain nosler protected points. Shoots an inch or under and no signs of pressure.

Zoo, I can say with certainty that using Fed brass will cause an increase in pressure and an increase in velocity of the pressure rise. Be careful as you approach max loads that are listed using any other type of brass. The case walls on federal brass are thicker than other manufacturers causing the combustion chamber to be smaller. If you burn the same amount of powder and a specified rate in a smaller chamber, you will naturally get higher pressures. That being understood, start lower and work up in .3 grain increments. When you find the pressure going up the recognizable levels, stop and find your most accurate load. Then build loads at + and - .1 grains until you find the sweet spot. Make sure your rifle is well broken in and take plenty of time between shots. Don't let that 30 cal monster hurt you.
cool.gif

------------------

Zoo, I can say with certainty that using Fed brass will cause an increase in pressure and an increase in velocity of the pressure rise. Be careful as you approach max loads that are listed using any other type of brass. The case walls on federal brass are thicker than other manufacturers causing the combustion chamber to be smaller. If you burn the same amount of powder and a specified rate in a smaller chamber, you will naturally get higher pressures. That being understood, start lower and work up in .3 grain increments. When you find the pressure going up the recognizable levels, stop and find your most accurate load. Then build loads at + and - .1 grains until you find the sweet spot. Make sure your rifle is well broken in and take plenty of time between shots. Don't let that 30 cal monster hurt you. Be sure to stop back by and let us know how it comes out.
cool.gif

------------------

Well, I see I have a problen now for sure, I am reading a double post, or is it double Chivas Regal? hehehe Danr55 is right, never mix your brass, they are all the same, but different!
Be safe, have fun!
deadeye2

Bussz,
Your right, the protected point was made to be used in the 300 win., short box, short bullet. A little lose due to the bullets nose being gone.
Be safe, have fun!
deadeye2

I'm a little late to this party BUT.
180 partitions, 70 grains of AA 4350, WWLR primers with an OAL of 3.500.
It prints 3 shots in .68 @100yardsbut spreads to 2.25 @ 300yards.
I forgot to write the velocity on the box but its just over 3,000.

Good question on the Bear Claws !

Sea Ya,
JB

Hey Terry, Glad to see ya over here!

Speaking of brass........Is the nickle plated brass thicker, or is it just a cosmetic thing?

Josh, The nickel plating that goes on the brass is mostly cosmetic. There is some abrasion resistance added by the harder nickel, but the topical plating is about .000003 think, so it wouldn't be enough to be measurable at anything less than the highest chamber pressures. If you have a load that is right at max pressure and it in a caliber that is extremely sensitive to variations, then you could possibily see some change. Otherwise, there should be no effect.
cool.gif

------------------

Danr55, Thanks for the help on the TBBC question, I haven't got at them yet but will let you know how they work out. They will be heading to British Colombia with me in Oct. Hopefully I'll put one a good bull moose.

danr55, one more question on the TBBC. with the cost of those bullets being almost a dollar a piece, can I substitute a different bullet for the purpose of working up a load for the TBBC so I don't waste so many on paper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back