Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

300 blackout

WVmike

Looking to pick up another ar upper to use for home defense, close range shooting and maybe even using out to 200-300 yards. I already have a 20 inch Wilson combat heavy barrel in .223 wylde for further shots but I would like to get a 16 inch upper in either 5.56 or .300 blackout. I’m ok with 5.56 but I have been looking into the possibility of a 300 upper. Like I said it will be 16 inch and for the immediate future I have no plans of getting a suppressor. Anyone have experience with a 300 blackout? Any input is appreciated.

What @p_ham said

300 blk was made to be suppressed. There is nothing an unsuppressed 300 blk will do that something else won't do better

Thanks for the replies, from what I’ve seen it’s better to have a short barrel and suppressed in .300 blackout not what I’m after in this case

I have a 10.5 in Noveske upper with an unrelated lower I form 1 SBRd. I shoot it suppressed and it is awesome.

I would just build a whole other rifle to use for home defense. Since you have a heavy barrel, maybe a lightweight mid length. Put a quality red dot and light on it, then train with it…

I would just build a whole other rifle to use for home defense. Since you have a heavy barrel, maybe a lightweight mid length. Put a quality red dot and light on it, then train with it…
I’m planning on building a whole other ar just figuring out what upper I want first. I’m leaning towards ballistic advantage 16 inch and I always like having the 15 inch rail. Also trying to buy a used eotech or something similar. Used them and trijicon in the military and they were almost indestructible

I’m planning on building a whole other ar just figuring out what upper I want first. I’m leaning towards ballistic advantage 16 inch and I always like having the 15 inch rail. Also trying to buy a used eotech or something similar. Used them and trijicon in the military and they were almost indestructible
There are so many reliable options now it basically comes down to what barrel profile and rail you prefer.
I’ve killed four eotechs and won’t ever bother with them again but others swear by them. I’ve never killed any model of Aimpoint, even during demos, but have seen others that had problems. I also know a few guys that have killed more people than the Clinton’s who used only iron sights. It’s all about preference and training really.

I’ve killed four eotechs and won’t ever bother with them again but others swear by them. I’ve never killed any model of Aimpoint, even during demos, but have seen others that had problems. I also know a few guys that have killed more people than the Clinton’s who used only iron sights. It’s all about preference and training really.
My sentiments also.

I recently purchased a Windham Weaponry AR 15 in .300 Blackout. I need this new rifle like another "you know what", but wanted an AR in a caliber that I can hunt deer with without breaking the bank. I know that there are many calibers better for deer hunting, and I already have a few: .257 Wby. mag, 6.5 Manbun, .264 Win. mag, .308 Win., .30-06, 7mm Rem. mag, and .300 Wby. mag. I have a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x 40 wth CDS on the AR, a Leapers charging handle extension, a Hogue rubber grip, a Larue MBT-2s trigger that should be here tomorrow, 2-5 round magazines...in addition to the 30 round magazine that came with it, a sling, a rubber butt pad, a hard case that it came with, and 4 boxes of Sierra 125 grain TGK ammo. I hope to sight in this rifle at 100 yards this Wednesday. From what I have read/heard, these make a dandy little deer rifle inside about 150 yards. Anxious to try it out.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a Windham Weaponry AR 15 in .300 Blackout. I need this new rifle like another "you know what", but wanted an AR in a caliber that I can deer hunt with also. I have a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x 40 wth CDS on it, a Leapers charging handle extention, a Larue MBT-2s trigger that should be here tomorrow, 2-5 round magazines...in addition to the 30 round magazine that came with it, a sling, and 4 boxes of Sierra 125 grain TGK ammo. I hope to sight in this gun at 100 yards this Wednesday. From what I have read/heard, these make a dandy little deer rifle inside about 150 yards. Anxious to try it out.
A friend of mine has a daughter that uses a suppressed bolt action 300blk for deer. She's killed a couple at around 50-75 yards without issue using 125gr bullets.

A friend of mine has a daughter that uses a suppressed bolt action 300blk for deer. She's killed a couple at around 50-75 yards without issue using 125gr bullets.

I've seen a couple of hunting videos with people using the .300 Blackout. Quite impressive results on whitetails, which is all that I hunt.

Sighted in my new AR 15 today. First time shooting my new AR, or any AR for that matter! Was very impressed with the accuracy at 100 yards. Shot a total of 8 rounds...my last 2 shots:
IMG_20230517_091531030_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230517_092308767.jpg
    IMG_20230517_092308767.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230517_092322679.jpg
    IMG_20230517_092322679.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230501_102240669.jpg
    IMG_20230501_102240669.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems