Caribou Gear Tarp

.30-30 Elk: Partition Or Hornady FTX Bullet?

emrah1028

Trying to get first hand, real life experience from those who've used these bullets for elk out of a .30-30. Actually, I'm more interested in the Hornady 160gr. FTX (Flex Tip) load, as I KNOW the 170gr. Partition will work. I've done a lot of reading and it comes highly recommended with an excellent track record.

However, there's not too much info on elk regarding the FTX. Some say it opens up too easily and does not penetrate as well. Others say at .30-30 speeds (I'm thinking 2000 fps max according to Hornady), it doesn't matter as it's not going fast enough to come apart.

Any thoughts? Any other experiences with the 160 grain FTX on big game OTHER than deer (again, it's well known that it will easily take deer).

Emrah

The flex tip stuff (if it hasn't changed), is basically a cup and core bullet with a tip. At .30-30 speeds either should work good, although I'd think you'd get a little better penetration with the partition, and probably a more consistent mushroom.

I think I saw hornady is making a copper flextip now as well, might be worth looking in to.

Like you said though, there's no doubt the partition will work.

Yes, Hornday has a 140 grain Monoflex bullet, which is just their GMX with the flex tip. Even though it's an all copper/gilding metal bullet, I'd probably want something heavier.

I'm leaning toward the Partition (or even a Sierra FN at that point), but I've heard great things about accuracy with the 160gr. FTX. Not looking to turn my 20" barreled Win 94 Ranger into a long distance gun by any means. I just want penetration and the bullet to stay together.

Emrah

Yes, Hornday has a 140 grain Monoflex bullet, which is just their GMX with the flex tip. Even though it's an all copper/gilding metal bullet, I'd probably want something heavier.

I'm leaning toward the Partition (or even a Sierra FN at that point), but I've heard great things about accuracy with the 160gr. FTX. Not looking to turn my 20" barreled Win 94 Ranger into a long distance gun by any means. I just want penetration and the bullet to stay together.

Emrah

Yeah the FTX stuff is pretty cool. I'd just buy a box and shoot it, maybe the gun will tell you whether or not it's an option. My micro-groove .30-30 wouldn't shoot it at all, but my ballard .444 loves it.

I would think the FTX would work just as good as a 170 grain sierra and corelokt, and lots of elk have been killed with those.

No elk experience, but I have shot a few deer and a truck load of bears with the standard old Rem core-lokt 170's and always had good performance. I wouldn't be afraid to plug an elk at 125 yrds or less with them... rather have my 06' though.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back