30-06 nosler vs hornady

samhain

Looking at specially the accubond and the sst superformance both 180gr, I hunt hogs and white tail - sub 200yds. Just curious if any of you guys have any experience with these two bullets?

My 30-06 shoots both well and either should work for what you are doing. The SST is a "softer" bullet and comes apart quicker than the accubond. It is closer to a nosler ballistic tip in performance. The accubonds seem to penetrate more and do less meat damage on deer sized game. I have settled on the accubond for my all around bullet, it seems to be a good combination of expansion, penetration, and doesn't destroy the whole front end of deer. If you like the SST's try the Hornady interbonds. They are bonded and a little tougher.

Good luck working up a load for your rifle.

Depends on the size of the hogs. If they were to never be of such sized as to have developed their shoulder shield, then either bullet should do well enough. Once they have all that armor, then scratch the SST, Period. Or, just go with the AB and not worry about it.....

For hogs if you go for a neck shot it likely won't matter which bullet you use. But for shoulder shots on hogs or deer you'll likely want something bonded. Then again there are guys who use thin jacketed match bullets and swear by it.

Thanks for everyone's responses thus far, for awhile now I've been die hard Hornady but I think I'm going to go with the accubond. Or at least see if my rifle likes them.

If its all sub 200yrds I think you will love the 180 grn Nosler Partition but the Accubond is a close 2nd choice

Anyone had any issues with the accubond not expanding at lower velocities? Been doing some research and looks like anything under 1800fps won't allow it to expand. But...like I mentioned before this rifle is probably sub 150yds. Muzzle velocity on nosler's website show 2750fps for the 180gr, I'm not sure what it would be at 100yds. I'm guessing maybe 2300? Thought about maybe the 165gr but its only 2800fps but I'm sure it would hold more at 100yds.

At the ranges that you are talking about, the -06 will push any bullet fast enough for great expansion. Unless you just want to spend the extra money, the coppers are not necessary for what you are doing. For the ranges that you are shooting, if you want coppers, go to a 130, or 150 and run it fast. I think that you are over-thinking this. Neither of those animals are that hard to kill. I would stay with Hornady and use the standard Interlocks (165+), or the Nosler Accubonds/Partitions.

Either one will work, but why so heavy of a bullet? I use the 165gr. With excellent results out to 400yds.,( furthest shot I’ve taken at a hog so far) with my 30-06.

I think there is a drawback to premium bullet's. They can make some people think all they have to do to kill something is hit it! I shot my last deer with a very fragile Hornady 75gr V-Max from a 243. Extremely poor choice of bullet's , not even designed for big game regardless of how small it may be. But one shot and DRT! Bullet placement trump's bullet construction! #2 Boone and Crockett Grizley was killed with a 22 long RF! How can that happen? Bullet placement! The shooter knew exactly where to place the bullet and got into a position to do it! Repeat, "got into position to do it"!

Also how would the accubond compare to the Hornady GMX?

With the creatures and ranges you’re talking about I’d stay away from the hard stuff unless you like a high shoulder shot to bust em o the spot.

The GMX/ETip/TTSX are the hard ones; tipped hollow points of gilding metal or copper. They don’t “pop” open and they don’t open wide so they’ll push all the way through. They perform best at top speeds especially when smallish big game are the target.

The Accubond/Interbond are tipped lead-core bullets with the jacket chemically bonded to the core for controlled expansion but not as controlled as monos.

For deer I like standard lead core & copper jacketed with a tip. In an 06 for deer I’ve run 168 GR Nosler Ballistic Tips for years and love em. A 180 GR SST would do nicely too. They open up fast and impart a great deal of shock to the target.

With those bullets I favor a quartering shot so as to stay off the shoulders which is good meat that is easily destroyed.

Of the 2 you mentioned initially I’d go 180 SST. The other I’d try is the 130 TTSX if you want to get really fancy, but truth is deer & hogs are easy to kill and a 150 GR power point/Interlock/CoreLokt/fed blue box whatever will do just fine.

FYI Accubonds and Ballistic tips often use the same jacket thickness non like weights. The BT is the toughest cup and core bullet made and if you use the heavy jacket models they will kill elk effectively all day long, even at magnum velocities.

My .308 shoots 165gn Hornady Interbonds exceedingly well... At paper. I've never sent one at an animal yet. Hard to find any thing negative to say about Accubonds though, and I have shot several deer, an antelope, and an elk with those. I can't say I'm fond of the SST's though.

A frequently overlooked bullet in my opinion is the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip. I've used the 165gn in my .308 on a nice mulie and a black bear. Been very impressed with it's performance. (Not trying to make this a .308 / 30-06 thing at all, just adding from what I'm familiar with.)

I lapped the barrel with the accubonds, they shot ok but part of that could be breaking the barrel in. Going to try some federal premium 180gr with the barnes TSX next.

Depends on the size of the hogs. If they were to never be of such sized as to have developed their shoulder shield, then either bullet should do well enough. Once they have all that armor, then scratch the SST, Period. Or, just go with the AB and not worry about it.....

Is the shoulder "shield" a reality?

I've killed 3 mature boars in CA and while skinning didn't see anything that resembled a shield. Maybe it's a regional, genetic thing.

California boars might be too liberal to develop such armor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back