30-06 200 grain

It was compressed but not horribly. Drop tube helps. If it would have been a Remington I could have loaded longer if throat allowed and could have got another grain or so in as I didn’t have any pressure signs

For curiosity sake I ran the ft lbs calculator on it verses the 180. The extra 100 FPS Velocity you can get with the 180 trumps the 200 at the muzzle.

I've had pretty good luck shooting factory 180s (Winchester ballistic silvertips) out of my 30-06, but was thinking of switching to copper. I'm not into reloading yet myself, but was wondering if anybodies made the switch to factory load coppers and results?
I've only used copper in my .308 that I loaded myself. There are several different manufacturers that sometimes use the same bullet. I'd try for the load that gets you the most velocity at the muzzle. Copper bullets seem to perform best when they hit at higher velocity.

For curiosity sake I ran the ft lbs calculator on it verses the 180. The extra 100 FPS Velocity you can get with the 180 trumps the 200 at the muzzle.
I don't know anyone that hunts at point blank. It's performance at the target that matters. If you compare similar bullets like the Accubond, the advertised B.C. of the 180 grain is about .081 lower than that of the 200 grain. Even if driven at a lower velocity the 200 grain Accubond catches up and exceeds the 180's energy at about 200 yards and continues to maintain higher energy from thereon.

I don't know anyone that hunts at point blank. It's performance at the target that matters. If you compare similar bullets like the Accubond, the advertised B.C. of the 180 grain is about .081 lower than that of the 200 grain. Even if driven at a lower velocity the 200 grain Accubond catches up and exceeds the 180's energy at about 200 yards and continues to maintain higher energy from thereon.

It was just a quick curiosity look, I didn’t bother putting it into my StrelokPro app.

Longer bullets start slower, but catch up, the farther that you extend the range. For average hunting, no critter will notice the difference between the 180 and the 200. I think that I would opt for the 180 for most all applications, but there are no flies on the heavies, either.

Now if only rl26 wasn’t so hard to find around here
Agreed. I bought eight pounds before it disappeared, so I am fairly stingy with it. It works great for the heavy bullets in my Creeds. I have not tried it in the -06, 7 mag, etc., as I already have good loads for them and have quit chasing velocity, for the most part. I would guess that because the demand is so high, production will eventually catch up to the market. Time will tell. Since Re 26 came around, it is easier to find H4350 at least!

I've had pretty good luck shooting factory 180s (Winchester ballistic silvertips) out of my 30-06, but was thinking of switching to copper. I'm not into reloading yet myself, but was wondering if anybodies made the switch to factory load coppers and results?
I switched to copper a few years ago, my rifle didn't shoot the Nosler ET version,(165gr.), as well as I had hoped it would, however the Barnes TTSX 168 & 180 grain ones shoot very well in both my 30-06 & 300WM.

Yes, I chose the 200 gr Nosler Partition and H4350 for my Brooks Range grizzly hunt, 2017. I only loaded it to 2600 fps. Recoil was more like a big push than a sharp slap, it was quite enjoyable to shoot. Also the accuracy was excellent. Zeroed it at 200 yards, had no problem hitting the gong at 300 with it. I was using a 24" Remington 700. Could have gone for more velocity, particularly if I'd changed powders, but the load was shooting so nicely I left it alone.

The bullet expanded readily on a 75ish pound wolf at a couple of hundred yards, and also performed well on grizzly. After a lot of longer range practice, turned out that we stalked the grizzly to within 50 yards. There was a lot of shooting in a hurry. I missed him once. One poor hit. Two good hits. Dropped him twice. Yes, they can get back up even after a good hit. The bear was down and dying at about 15 yards (he didn't charge, we just got closer during all the moving and shooting) and my rifle was empty. I was starting to reload my rifle, the guide handed me his 338 Win mag and I finished him with that.

Recovered one of my Partitions:
JmjSdtFh.jpg

rBidVQMh.jpg

After that hunt, I seriously considered making the 200 gr Nosler Partition load my standard 30-06 load - it was so good to shoot and worked well on game. But... I've got a big pile of 165 gr bullets on hand, so I turned back to the 165's for my standard 30-06 load. That 165 gr bullet weight has done great for me on elk, black bear, mule deer and pronghorn.

So yes - in my opinion the 200 gr Nosler Partition is an excellent bullet for the 30-06, particularly if hunting larger animals.

Regards, Guy

Yes, I chose the 200 gr Nosler Partition and H4350 for my Brooks Range grizzly hunt, 2017. I only loaded it to 2600 fps. Recoil was more like a big push than a sharp slap, it was quite enjoyable to shoot. Also the accuracy was excellent. Zeroed it at 200 yards, had no problem hitting the gong at 300 with it. I was using a 24" Remington 700. Could have gone for more velocity, particularly if I'd changed powders, but the load was shooting so nicely I left it alone.

The bullet expanded readily on a 75ish pound wolf at a couple of hundred yards, and also performed well on grizzly. After a lot of longer range practice, turned out that we stalked the grizzly to within 50 yards. There was a lot of shooting in a hurry. I missed him once. One poor hit. Two good hits. Dropped him twice. Yes, they can get back up even after a good hit. The bear was down and dying at about 15 yards (he didn't charge, we just got closer during all the moving and shooting) and my rifle was empty. I was starting to reload my rifle, the guide handed me his 338 Win mag and I finished him with that.

Recovered one of my Partitions:
JmjSdtFh.jpg

rBidVQMh.jpg

After that hunt, I seriously considered making the 200 gr Nosler Partition load my standard 30-06 load - it was so good to shoot and worked well on game. But... I've got a big pile of 165 gr bullets on hand, so I turned back to the 165's for my standard 30-06 load. That 165 gr bullet weight has done great for me on elk, black bear, mule deer and pronghorn.

So yes - in my opinion the 200 gr Nosler Partition is an excellent bullet for the 30-06, particularly if hunting larger animals.

Regards, Guy
But, wouldn’t the 180 be as good, or better due to more velocity?

But, wouldn’t the 180 be as good, or better due to more velocity?
Yes and no. At 50 yards there would have been no appreciable difference in energy delivered to the target. What would be different is the sectional density.

Given two bullets of the same caliber and construction, one lighter and one heavier, the heavier bullet theoretically will have better penetration. So for heavier, tougher game the 200 grain bullet might be the preferable choice.

Would it have made a difference in this instance? Unlikely. Could it make a difference in some situations? Possibly.

I think the 180 Partition would have done just fine. I did test 180 gr loads prior to my trip, and they were great, 2800 fps level.

Really liked the 200 gr load, so I stayed with it. Figured I'd have no problem with it out at 300 yards if necessary. Lots good answers to the bullet question.

Perhaps of interest - I left my 375 H&H at home and took the 30-06 instead. Lighter rifle, and I shoot it a little better. The outfitter helped me make that decision. He did say that if we were hunting the giant coastal bears, or out on Kodiak Island, that he'd prefer I bring the 375 H&H, but for interior grizzly, the 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win mag, rifles of that level were all acceptable to him, as long as they were loaded with good bullets and the hunter was reasonably skilled with the rifle.

Regards, Guy

I think the 180 Partition would have done just fine. I did test 180 gr loads prior to my trip, and they were great, 2800 fps level.

Really liked the 200 gr load, so I stayed with it. Figured I'd have no problem with it out at 300 yards if necessary. Lots good answers to the bullet question.

Perhaps of interest - I left my 375 H&H at home and took the 30-06 instead. Lighter rifle, and I shoot it a little better. The outfitter helped me make that decision. He did say that if we were hunting the giant coastal bears, or out on Kodiak Island, that he'd prefer I bring the 375 H&H, but for interior grizzly, the 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win mag, rifles of that level were all acceptable to him, as long as they were loaded with good bullets and the hunter was reasonably skilled with the rifle.

Regards, Guy

That is a fine bear. How much do you figure he weighed?

I don't know.

The hide squared a bit over 8', and the skull missed Boone & Crockett by about an inch. I've been told that it's an exceptional bear for the Brooks Range, a true interior grizzly.

I remain impressed by the animal, and very grateful for the opportunity to hunt him.

Regards, Guy

I too loaded the 200gr (Sierra/Speer) over 54gr IMR 4350 for years. When I moved to Utah, for grins, I worked up a load with 60gr/R22 for it in a 24" '06. I was getting 2640 or so. I think I am going to try try out some R16 ( which my particular .270/129gr did not like) and maybe some R17 ( if my 300WSM will allow it, it loves it!) I "just have to try" as much H4831 I can compress under that 200NP, then crimp it with a LEE FCD before it can be pushed out! ha Whoopee! ha My "new to me" Mark X will be my 'experimental rifle" now , waiting to get it back from the Smith, so don't know how long I can seat them out. I have my .270/.300WSM/300 Win Mag all worked out and dialed in! So they will be shot sparingly for awhile. :)

Back