Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2nd season grind with a perfect ending.

My son and I wrapped up our hunt Sunday morning. I’m feeling particularly blessed right now. This is the first time in a few years that I’ve felt healthy and strong (the “Big C” took me down a rough road since 2019), and this was the demanding hunt I’ve really been needing to feel whole again.

We easily clocked 50 miles on the boots in 9 days. The long pack-outs felt great too.

Set up a little camp and enjoyed our time. It was sure nice to have it, even though it was only about 30 miles from our house. Ha!

View attachment 248822

On day four, after a long morning, we took a lunch break on a ridge. We had seen a little forkey come in and lay down in this valley earlier, and I decided I needed to see if I could find him in his bead.

I took my rifle and walked a bit glassing all the likely looking areas. I never did find him, but I did find another buck!! Shot him in his bead after crawling in to about 150 yards.
View attachment 248825

Fast-forward to day nine and my son had endured the frustrations of zigging instead of zagging, sitting in the wrong spot, and missing a great buck with the aplomb of a seasoned pro.

The weather turned and the glassing game was tough, so we took to driving and glassing ridge-to-ridge. I spotted a few more does bedded, and despite my heart telling me it was just a few more lone girls, I got out the binos and did my scan to see if any fellas were around.

Holy crap, there’s a nice buck right there bedded in the snow! A mini fire drill ensued as we both came flying out of our down moods, and got our numb fingers and toes going again.

We had to move a reposition a few times, as the buck got up and moved during our approach, but we were able to close the distance and my son was able to seal the deal!
View attachment 248827
This was an absolute brute of a buck. Definitely the biggest bodied deer I’ve ever seen.

We both decided that this is exactly how we’d want it to go down: challenges, disappointments, and triumphs. With the people we love the most. Don’t take anything for granted.
Nice bucks!

Wonderful. Glad to hear that you are on the mend. Don't recognize any of those areas specifically, but have probably been near some of them as I have hunted the Meeker area many times. Love your part of the world.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back